Car Insurance quotes >£200 no matter the car

Diego_Francis
Diego_Francis Posts: 58 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 27 March 2021 at 12:18AM in Insurance & life assurance
I fancy getting a petrol car to get away from my current diesel.
I've considered hybrid petrol cars and hybrid plug ons then I have also looked simply at petrol only cars.

As stressful as it is getting for me to find a car I can afford to buy and run I'm now burdened with this frustrating predicament.

No matter what model car I look at or what insurance category it sits in, even a cat 1, I can't get a car insurance quote that goes below £200. The cars I look at range from £5k to £20k. The average from 2015-current

I have 12 years no claims protected and a clean licence. Has always been the case. I was under the impression by now as a 30 year old with essentially a flawless run I'd be getting insured at cheaper rates by now.

Is £200 the cheapest anyone in my circumstances can get for car insurance?

I've tried all the comparison sites and followed the mse car insurance guide.

I'm exhausted. If £200 is the best I can get I honestly don't see why it's worth keeping my no claims or going electric either. Even a VW UP lowest spec costs £206 to insure.

Is any of this right? I feel like it should be really cheap to insure a VW UP.

On the positive side I can get whatever the hell I want because I know no matter what I'll be paying at least £200 to insure the !!!!!!.

Edit..

I forgot I had posted something similar recently I rarely use this account and don't get notifications.

I suppose I'm trying to figure out why £200 is the standard minimum for car insurance full comp. Just seems bonkers to me 

Comments

• MrFrugalFever
    MrFrugalFever Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Welcome to the world of car insurance, something you should be familiar with by now. £200 fully comp is a bargain if you ask me, given the amount of insurance fraud that takes place each year.
    Save £5k in 2024 challenge #32
    Saved Total = £1,560.26 / £5,000

Secured/Unsecured loans x 0
    Credit Cards x 6 (total limit £24,250)
    Creation FS Retail Account x 1
    0% Overdraft x 1 (£250)
    Mortgage x £140,250
    Debt = £549.00 (0%APR due 22nd July 2024)

Charity fundraising goal for 2024 = £1,000 for animal rehoming / dog fostering etc
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,208 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Are you talking about £200 a year or £200 a month?

The latter is quite expensive I grant you, but £200 a year is very cheap. It's about as cheap as car insurance ever gets, and is chicken feed in terms of the overall cost of running a car - two tanks of petrol for some cars.

Insurance groups are not a particularly useful predictor of car insurance prices. They are not actually used by insurance companies to calculate premiums - they are mostly used by car manufacturers to sell cheap, small engined cars. Don't pay too much attention to them.

As Dunston suggests, there is a limit below which premiums will not go no matter how cheap your car is. Unless you are driving something ludicrously expensive, most of the price is third party risk rather than the risk of damage to your own car. You are just as likely to drive into a Ferrari or run over a pedestrian and paralyse them for life in a 10 year old Fiesta as you are in a brand new BMW. In fact if anything you are more likely to do it in the old car which will not have modern safety features and is more likely to be in poor mechanical condition,  so old cheap cars can be more expensive to insure than shiny new ones. 
  • jimbo6977
    jimbo6977 Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    £200pa would be about as cheap as it gets. 

£200pcm would suggest you are living somewhere considered high risk. 
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,208 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    One other example...
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2012/nov/19/23m-compensation-crash-agnes-collier
    As it happens, a BMW driver caused this accident. But it could just as easily have been a VW UP. This is why you can't get car insurance for £50.
  • dwsjarcmcd
    dwsjarcmcd Posts: 1,855 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker

Edit..

I forgot I had posted something similar recently I rarely use this account and don't get notifications.

I suppose I'm trying to figure out why £200 is the standard minimum for car insurance full comp. Just seems bonkers to me 
    I'm not sure why you think £200 is expensive and why as a standard minimum, it's bonkers (it's not a standard minimum). 

From this premium, they not only have the risk costs but the acquisition costs.  If you purchase via a comparison site, the insurer will need to pay the PCW around £50 and if you buy direct, they will need to pay search costs that probably exceed this amount.  They also have all the system costs and operational costs to add to that.
    Wish my insurance was only £200!! 
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 27 March 2021 at 10:49AM
    Get a bicycle or walk
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,910 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I'm paying under £230, with full NCB, could get it cheaper with no name insurers who have bad reputations.

If you want even cheaper insurance, buy a classic car, that used to cost me just under £100 a year.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • atlantis187
    atlantis187 Posts: 1,442 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I would bite their hand off at £200 a year.
    Mine is nearly £900 with 5 years no claims on a 12 plate Clio
  • Thankyou all for your input. It's reassuring to know I'm just ill-informed. I remember years ago my dad was getting a premium under £100 but with the inflation and excess accidents increasing from then to now yeah makes sense why <£200 is near impossible.
    Also I'd love to own a push bike and may get one eventually but need a second car for school runs, even though I'd happily walk in the rai with the kids but the misses is having non of that haha.

So yeah I'm out of touch with reality is basically the honest answer for this and I appreciate some of the insights on this thread. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback