New insurance policy after accident?

Our cat did an overnighter last week and came home severely lame last Sunday. We took her on the vet on the same day, where they treated her with antibiotics and painkiller/anti-inflammatory and then sent her home, indicating that all other vitals were normal and she would get better with time. We took her back for a checkup this morning where they noticed the fact that she was still limping. They gave her an x-ray and basically another animal has chomped her foot, going straight through a metatarsal (broken foot). We are currently in the region of £515 out of pocket, our insurance policy will only cover up to £1,000 a year, with an excess of £99. Worst case scenario, we've been advised that she could require a wire inserted into the foot, £1,500-2,000.

I think we need a far more generous insurance policy for future (I am aware that there is no way this helps with the current expenses). 1) Does an accident affect whether or not you can take out a new insurance policy? I see references to existing conditions on comparison websites, but no questions about whether you have made a claim on any other insurance. 2) If we can get better insurance, is there any issue with us settling our current claim with present insurer and then cancelling immediately (assuming we pass the annual limit for claims)?

Here's hoping the surgery isn't required! :#

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    If you make a claim  then cancel you will have to pay the full year's premium. Depending on the policy ,  if it an annual  policy which you pay monthly  then you will have to pay the rest of the premiums due.
    Any future claims for anything that could be related to the accident , such as arthritis later, will now be  a pre existing condition.
    But if you have used up the cover on your existing policy then you have nothing to lose.
    There are  policies which will cover pre existing conditions after a set time with no further treatment or recurrence.

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Also if you take out a new policy, there is generally no cover for the first 14 days, so bear that in mind when you start the new policy. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 March 2021 at 9:39AM
    sheramber said:
    Any future claims for anything that could be related to the accident , such as arthritis later, will now be  a pre existing condition.
    Do you mean with the current insurer? Because I can't see how a new insurer could adequately demonstrate that arthritis (as an example) at some future point was as a direct consequence of an injury some years previous?

In short, she's a young cat and I just want to make sure that we are adequately insured for future, it's clear that we weren't sufficiently insured to begin with, despite my efforts to at least try and do the right thing re. taking out insurance.

Interesting to note re. having to pay the rest of the premiums for this year, but as you say, no loss either way if we reach the limit for what they're willing to cover.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,603 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 27 March 2021 at 10:29AM
    With the new insurer I'm afraid, she's had treatment for a foot injury so a new insurer is unlikely to cover anything related to that foot in future. 

Some providers like Pet Plan may agree to remove the clause after a few years if no further treatment is needed. It's possible rather than probable. 

All insurance is about odds and managing risk to themselves, the financial model relies on more money being paid in than out. 
    A cat with a pre existing injury is more likely to get say arthritis than a cat with no pre existing injury, so it's too much risk for the insurer and they won't cover the first cat to protect themselves financially. It's not necessarily about being able to prove it either way. Judged as too much risk so they say no from the outset. 

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    IF the underwriter considers the arthritis, it any other condition COULD be linked to a previous injury

That is enough for them to exclude cover. It would be up to you to convince them it was not as a result of the previous injury. 

• edinburgher
    edited 28 March 2021 at 1:49PM
    I'm a little confused by some of the responses, but I'm sure it's my interpretation and I appreciate everyone trying to be helpful.

My understanding so far is that any insurer will treat future conditions involving the injured foot as a pre-existing condition and would decline a claim (unless we went for an insurer who would consider treating a pre-existing condition if no recurrence for x years). I cam live with that.

KxMx, however, gave the impression that we might be refused insurance entirely because of her accident. Is that a realistic possibility, or have I misunderstood? I've had a couple of bumps in the car, but am still insured (with much higher premiums).

4th visit to the vet in a week scheduled for 3, that cat is trying to bankrupt us  :s
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,603 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 28 March 2021 at 2:14PM
    Sorry if my post was unclear but I didn't mean you won't be able to get any insurance.
    Just that a new insurer will place an exclusion on the policy as you say. And they will do that because the risks to themselves needing to pay out for the pre existing condition are too high. 
  • edinburgher
    @KxMx - thank you - I hoped that was what you meant  :)
  • edinburgher
    Thanks for the advice all. Current insurer has paid out for the accident and I have cancelled the policy. The current insurer did not ask us to pay any future premiums, so fair play to them (Animal Friends). I have moved to Bought By Many after a personal recommendation (they will cover existing conditions as standard after two years). The premium was a substantial jump (£5.xx to £10.xx), but I can live with that.

Currently £900 out of pocket, with another set of x-rays to go. Cat is healing well, so that's something ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback