Protection for dementia suffers - No spending cap for people with dementia.

Options
Hi,
My mum is 60 years old who has had multiple strokes over the past 10 years and has had Vascular dementia for the past 5 years. 
I do not live with my mum but I sort out her internet access and pay that bill. Over the past few years I've got my parents to make all out-going phones calls via their mobile phones (which have unlimited minutes without the 60min hang up/call back non-sense). We have kept an old school landline/phone for incoming calls, mainly to cater to old habits of having a landline and for those relatives who insist on calling landlines.
Recently with the price hikes I had my chance to escape from Sky and go to Vodafone. I asked about having a price cap on the landline or to block all outgoing calls. The reason for this request, my mum knows to use her mobile but with an infection or being tired she can be muddled and could be prone to using the landline, which in turn could leave me with a hefty bill. I have the option of paying an extra £8/month for unlimited calls but I don't need this service and if I was to get it, it would be more as an insurance policy against a shocking bill. 
It is funny that Vodafone offers a price cap on their mobile phone contracts but not on landlines. To be fair to Vodafone, I was previously with Sky who did not provide a price cap.  Every time I sort out my parent's broadband, I have the intention of highlighting this issue but finding a relevant avenue is hard.

With dementia being more prevalent in today's world, surely we can provide better protection to our vulnerable members of society.  
Is it me,  or is this a sly income generator or is his a genuine oversight by the industry? 

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Add in all the others  with problems .
    Its not a sly generator as the ISP etc have no way of knowing who is vulnerable and who is not .
    UNLESS your mother has been registered as vulnerable with the provider .
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback