Lasting Power of Attorney

Options
Kerenza
Kerenza Posts: 8 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 25 March 2021 at 10:37AM in Marriage, relationships & families
I wonder if someone can answer this please. Google is`nt cooperating. 
Should someone who has Lasting Power of Attorney be informed if a will has been rewritten and is not with the same  storage company as the previous will?
I don`t want to go into details but I strongly believe the person who changed her will and who I had lasting power of attorney  for was coerced into changing her will during lockdown.  
I wasn`t the only person with power of attorney. The other person became an executor of the new will as well as myself and also a beneficiary. This person visited often during lockdown ( she lived in the same street and was also a carer for the person who changed her will)  along with a firm of carers who she also worked for ) . I live over an hours drive away but kept in regular contact via the phone.
I`m smelling a rat. 
Any advice please. There are so many issues over this new will and how it was written and knew nothing about any changes until after the funeral which I arranged and after I had taken on the roll of executor, informing Just Once, contacting banks to freeze accounts etc. 

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Kerenza said:
    Should someone who has Lasting Power of Attorney be informed if a will has been rewritten and is not with the same  storage company as the previous will?

No.                             
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No, for the simple reason that at the point of death the LPA ceases, so the person holding the LPA is no longer involved.
    As a potential executor the answer is still no, but it would be a handy bit of information to have. 
  • MattMattMattUK
    Options
    Just checking, is the power of attorney currently active? If it is held in readiness then they can still do what they want, if the power is active then they are legally unable to make or amend a will.
  • MSE_ForumTeam5
    MSE_ForumTeam5 Posts: 966 Community Admin
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    We've moved this from the Coronavirus travel board. 
    Official MSE Forum Team member. Please use the 'report' button to alert us to problem posts, or email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • wonerme
    wonerme Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a will and L P A in place, so why do I have to be registered With my Bank and a savings bank where I hold an account.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback