We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Gravel

Zither
Zither Posts: 365 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Hello!

I need to top the gravel up in my garden and am hoping to buy some online, maybe half a tonne. But...who knew there were so many different types of gravel.

Does anyone know what type/style of gravel this is/where I could get it from? Pound coin added for scale!

Thank you

Comments

  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I’d guess you need to specify 20mm, washed, gravel.

    ...and if you think you need half a tonne, chances are you actually need about 2 tonne - it never goes as far as you think!
  • Zither
    Zither Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Apodemus said:
    I’d guess you need to specify 20mm, washed, gravel.

    ...and if you think you need half a tonne, chances are you actually need about 2 tonne - it never goes as far as you think!
    Hey thanks. Didn't even know washed gravel was a thing. Do you know if there's a colour style for it as well? I had a look last night and there were so many different types I just gave up! 

    Oh you think I might need more? I just need to top it up after removing some horrible old dead hedging for fences. So a bit thin in places.  Not sure if a tonne+ would be too much.

    Who knew buying gravel would be so hard haha.

  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 25 March 2021 at 7:58AM
    Hopefully, others can help you on colour style.  What you have is simply what comes out of the ground around here, so for us it's just gravel - anything else is what needs a name!  Most suppliers can show you samples if you visit their premises before ordering. 

    A pound coin is 23.4mm, so what you have looks like it is in the 20-25mm size range.  I think most places sell 20mm and 40mm so yours was probably sold as 20mm.

    As to volume, you're on your own there!  I am just making the observation that gravel is heavy and any weight specified is a lot less volume than I ever imagine and never spreads as far as I hope!
  • Zither
    Zither Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Apodemus said:
    Hopefully, others can help you on colour style.  What you have is simply what comes out of the ground around here, so for us it's just gravel - anything else is what needs a name!  Most suppliers can show you samples if you visit their premises before ordering. 

    A pound coin is 23.4mm, so what you have looks like it is in the 20-25mm size range.  I think most places sell 20mm and 40mm so yours was probably sold as 20mm.

    As to volume, you're on your own there!  I am just making the observation that gravel is heavy and any weight specified is a lot less volume than I ever imagine and never spreads as far as I hope!
    Ok thanks for the info!  😊

  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Take some along to a builders merchants and compare with what they have. They usually have a selection.
    The colour of new stuff will be much brighter than the weathered stuff. 
  • Zither
    Zither Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    sheramber said:
    Take some along to a builders merchants and compare with what they have. They usually have a selection.
    The colour of new stuff will be much brighter than the weathered stuff. 
    Makes sense - I was hoping to just order some online - garden centres etc are a nightmare on the weekend! Didn't realise that the colour would change tho so should maybe order a bit brighter if I can find a good match.  Thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards