New Post Advanced Search

Customs Charges

6 replies 211 views
Hi all,

I've recently purchased 4 vinyls from the USA which with shipping has cost me just over £200. (shipping has cost a substantial amount) Parcelforce have now got in contact and advised that I need to pay £53 for these vinyls to be delivered. I feel conned and shafted. I've queried the payment but should they not move from the charge, where do I stand with my consumer rights in terms of refusing the goods, getting them sent back and getting a refund?

Replies

• BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    48.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's called " import tax" 

Been pretty standard for years 

UK consumer rights do not apply 
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • jon81ukjon81uk Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

I've recently purchased 4 vinyls from the USA which with shipping has cost me just over £200. (shipping has cost a substantial amount) Parcelforce have now got in contact and advised that I need to pay £53 for these vinyls to be delivered. I feel conned and shafted. I've queried the payment but should they not move from the charge, where do I stand with my consumer rights in terms of refusing the goods, getting them sent back and getting a refund?
    You need to pay 20% VAT on most goods, plus for orders over £135 there may be Import Duty (none on vinyl records though so doesn't apply to you). Then the courier add a fee to collect the tax on your behalf. So for £200, the VAT is about £40 and the parcelforce fee is  £12.

Anything you buy from overseas will have VAT added to it.
  • bigbradwolfbigbradwolf Forumite
    5 posts
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks for the responses...Frustrating as if I'd have split the order into two I'd have saved a decent wedge of money...nevermind, you live and learn.
  • jon81ukjon81uk Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the responses...Frustrating as if I'd have split the order into two I'd have saved a decent wedge of money...nevermind, you live and learn.
    VAT is due on almost all imports so splitting into smaller shipments wouldn’t make any difference. Although more parcels would mean more handling fees from couriers.

If it is over the £135 where import duty is payable then that makes a difference, but only on items where there is import tax and vinyl records don’t have import tax applied.
  • krebkreb Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post First Anniversary
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hi, I just ordered an item (Earthing Sheet) from Sweden, value £304 inc shipping 
    The seller discounted their VAT (25%) and I got a notice from Royal Mail that it was on its way the day he sent it!
    Today it was delivered by Parcelforce. No VAT added, and no import duty or handling fees charged.
    I expected all costs to include 20% VAT, 10% import duty and handling on top.
    Am I just lucky, or should I expect a bill to follow?
  • edited 30 March at 3:48AM
    pogofishpogofish Forumite
    10.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 March at 3:48AM
    Hi all,

This isn't a shopping/consumer rights issue and is already well covered on any number of other threads here.

Why didn't you do your own import paperwork?  That way you would limit any payment to the actual duty due and completely avoid the hefty "processing charges" that get added-on.  The only downside is that it can slow delivery until your payment clears.

Chapter and verse on how to do this has been in an appropriate forum here for years now!