Kitchen reflooring and sink repair

Options
Hi there!
We recently had problems with our kitchen sink which led to our floor being flooded. This has happened a few times and the emergency plumber has given us a temporary fix each time (the last one propped up our U-bend with bits of wood!). Not long after this, we noticed the floor in front of the sink was raised, suggesting a problem with the floorboards underneath, possibly due to water damage.
Basically, we're looking to get the sink's pipework fixed so it won't keep leaking, the floorboards fixed and new flooring put in the entire kitchen while we're at it. This was the quote we got:
To remove all skirting boards
To rip up all existing laminate flooring
To isolate washing machine and put into another room whilst flooring is getting replaced
To fully inspect possible damage under sink base unit , and repair at customers cost ,once inspection has been done
To remove fridge freezer from kitchen
To renew any pipework looking like it has either leaked in the past or going to in the near future and anything suspended by small sections of timber
To renew the entire kitchen / dining area with new LVT Flooring ( grey ) as requested
To renew all skirting boards , ready for painting at customers cost
To fit washing machine and fridge freezer back into existing space
Skip can be supplied at £160 ( to be agreed )
All works will take 1 Day only with 4 men on site
Total cost £1878.00 inc Vat
Is this is a bit high, given that it doesn't include the cost of repairing the floorboards?

Comments

• maxsteam
    maxsteam Posts: 718 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    It's about £400 per person per day. To me, that sounds a lot. There will not be any expensive materials.

Have you been putting hazardous chemicals into your washing machine? I am curious as to why it needs isolating. There will be a blue tap behind the washing machine that turns the water off and I know that this is what they mean, but saying they will "isolate washing machine" suggest that they want to pretend that it's something far more complicated that turning the water off.

Personally, if the U-bend is propped up with wood, I would spend a couple of hours replacing the pipes myself and, if the floor feels solid, I would leave it alone and I would not worry about a slightly uneven surface. A gang of workmen who talk about isolating a washing machine will be sure to find excuses to charge for more work once they've lifted the floorboards, particularly as you already sound convinced that there's a big problem under there.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback