Suggestion for investments and the threat of libel
On the savings and investment board this occurs regularly
* Somebody posts about an investment that looks dodgy
* Regulars say it looks dodgy
* The company lawyers threaten MSE
* MSE takes down the thread
I can fully understand to keep the thread up would involve much staff time on a subject they freely admit they know little about (investments) and there is the risk of libel.
The trouble is these companies know all they have to do is threaten (even when they know they have no case) and MSE will remove anything negative about them, even when it is true.
So my suggestion is to turn this about and make this something MSE campaigns on to protect innocent investors. That you employ somebody who knows about investments and the law to actively manage these threads, and even start new ones.
Huge sums of money are taken from unsophisticated investors who don't realise terms like "guaranteed", "asset backed securities", "100% payment record to date" and "ISA/pension approved" are meaningless in the unregulated investment world.
I can't think of a better use for MSE resources than protecting these people from the sharks.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors
- All Categories
- 338.9K Banking & Borrowing
- 248.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 447.6K Spending & Discounts
- 230.8K Work, Benefits & Business
- 601K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 171.1K Life & Family
- 244.1K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
- 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards