Student Loan - Don't qualify for government loan.

Hi all,
I moved back to the UK from South Africa 7 months ago and will be bringing my daughter over here to study at university shortly. 
My daughter is a British citizen, but hasn't lived herein the past 3 years, which according to the rules I read, doesn't qualify her for a government student loan. Are there other viable options for loans? 
Looking forward to your feedback. 

Comments

• Jami74
    Jami74 Posts: 998
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Will she also count as an international student for the purpose of fees? 
    Debt Free: 01/01/2020
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Does your daughter already have a place on a course? Whether or not, the best thing to do would be to contact the Student Loans Company to find out if she would be eligible for any kind of funding, as she is a British citizen. There are two types of loans - one for tuition and one for maintenance - even though she has not lived here for the required three years, there may be some kind of funding she can get. Student Loans can advise where to look. It's very confusing out there!

The link to Student Loans from the Government site is here : https://www.gov.uk/guidance/guidance-on-contacting-the-student-loans-company
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Jami74 said:
    No, because she's British and will be treated like any other British citizen who has been living overseas.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 23 March 2021 at 7:40PM
    MalMonroe said:
    Jami74 said:
    No, because she's British and will be treated like any other British citizen who has been living overseas.
    Not necessarily. Some universities follow student finance rules for fees and why wouldn't they more money for them 

being British doesn't get you student finance if you've not been living in the U.K. 3 years. 
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,564
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Senior Ambassador
    If it is that long term a plan then she could move to Scotland for those 3 years and probably not need a loan for fees
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Thank you for all the comments, really appreciate it.
    What would the deal be with her going to college?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Nburgan77 said:
    Thank you for all the comments, really appreciate it.
    What would the deal be with her going to college?

That might make her ineligible for funding later. You can't get student loan funds if you were solely in the Uk for the 3 years to study. 
  • peteuk
    peteuk Posts: 1,284
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Nburgan77 said:
    Hi all,
    I moved back to the UK from South Africa 7 months ago and will be bringing my daughter over here to study at university shortly. 
    My daughter is a British citizen, but hasn't lived herein the past 3 years, which according to the rules I read, doesn't qualify her for a government student loan. Are there other viable options for loans? 
    Looking forward to your feedback. 

The other answers to this question are offering false hope. She does not qualify for support from the Student Loans Company and is liable to pay international (ie high) tuition fees at most universities. The most obvious solution is for her to find a job or some other constructive way to spend the next three years, and then go to university once she is eligible.
    Voyager, not strictly true.  It does depend on the reason why the OP was in South Africa.   I was out of the UK for three years, my daughter gained a place at Uni from overseas and although on application she was treated as an overseas student, we applied and on the basis of my employment she is now treated as a UK based student, her fees are the UK fees (not overseas rates) and get this and a loan paid by student loans. 

Nburgan77 - if you hold a UK passport and where working in SA, then I would say look into this further.  If you chose to leave the UK or don't have a UK passport then I am afraid it is likely that she will be treated as an overseas student.  Are you now planning to remain in the UK or is it just for the duration of her Uni course?

Proud to have dealt with our debts
    Starting debt 2005 £65.7K.
    Current debt ZERO.
    DEBT FREE
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills