Reconciliation call from ESA grateful for advice please

gregg1
gregg1 Posts: 3,148
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 23 March 2021 at 6:55AM in Disability money matters
My sister is on contribution based ESA and also receives PIP.  She had a letter informing her of a reconciliation phone call appointment.  It was apparently because they had received an anonymous phone call saying she was lying About her disability.  The lady conducting the call was very pleasant and after a fairly short discussion informed my sister that she was closing the case as it was apparent To her that the call was malicious (Indeed my sister has supporting evidence which DWP obtained from her consultants and GP at the time of re assessment for ESa and PIP which fully support her claim but nevertheless it was extremely distressing for her, not least to think that there are some very nasty people out there!). But my question is,why, during that phone call was she asked to provide details of any savings in her name when neither her ESA allowance or PiP allowance is means tested?   It is totally irrelevant what her savings are and would appreciate any advice as to why this information would be requested when it is not relevant.  Many thanks

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,815
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 23 March 2021 at 8:03AM
    If she's claiming the old Contributions based ESA then they maybe assessing her for an income related top up and to do this they do ask to provide details of any savings/capital. Part of her ESA may also already be Income Related. ( You'll be amazed just how many people get confused by these)
    If it's New style ESA or just completely Contributions based  then i have no idea why they are asking for those details.

• gregg1
    Forumite
    Thank you. No, it is completely Contribution based. Which is why I really don't understand why she needed to provide the details.  Maybe she should call and ask the question.  
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,815
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Like i said, they maybe assessing her for the income related top up but this would only happen if it's the "old" Contributions based, rather than New Style ESA.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,892
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It's entirely possible there's one set of questions covering both means-tested and non means-tested benefits, especially where one of them might be income related. Easier to ask the question of everyone and ignore the answer if not relevant, maybe?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,902
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 23 March 2021 at 8:10PM
    " It is totally irrelevant what her savings are and would appreciate any advice as to why this information would be requested when it is not relevant. " 

Probably checking to see if she is eligible for the £67 a week severe disability premium in addition to her CB based ESA payments.
    https://www.gov.uk/disability-premiums/what-youll-get

She may wish to check this entitlement herself:
    https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

It could be very relevant if no one is claiming Carers Allowance on her behalf, and if she could be getting this extra money through her ESA claim.
    I would have thought it is much better to have been asked the questions, rather than be underpaid by the DWP, wouldn't you?
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • gregg1
    Forumite
    " It is totally irrelevant what her savings are and would appreciate any advice as to why this information would be requested when it is not relevant. " 

Probably checking to see if she is eligible for the £67 a week severe disability premium in addition to her CB based ESA payments.
    https://www.gov.uk/disability-premiums/what-youll-get

She may wish to check this entitlement herself:
    https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

It could be very relevant if no one is claiming Carers Allowance on her behalf, and if she could be getting this extra money through her ESA claim.
    I would have thought it is much better to have been asked the questions, rather than be underpaid by the DWP, wouldn't you?
    Thank you.  She’s not entitled to the premium as she has a carer.   Now been told by someone at DWP the question should not have been asked.  It’s done now but at least they have cleared it up. Sort of.  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback