Please Help!!

Options
jodie04
jodie04 Posts: 97 Forumite
Not sure how to explain or sort this out.
My father(not a nice person) got my grandfather to take out a 10,000 loan for him, after promising to make all repayments. once he got the money, he did a runner and left my nana and grandad with 157.50 monthly payments to make on pensions.
My granda has recently passed away leaving my nana with this debt, and only 1 pension she is from the phillipines and doesn`t understand money and debt issues in this country.
My main question is:
should she be paying this now my grandad has gone
if so can she get this reduced

many thnaks in advance
£2008 in 2008 (187) £186.

March: dvd & Choccy

Comments

• jodie04
    Options
    my other problem in sorting this out is that she is in manchester, i`m in wales, she has no phone or internet. so its all got to be done through letters,

• CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Assuming the loan was in your grandads name only (not joint names) then his estate is responsible for paying the debt. If there is insufficient in the estate then the debt dies with the person.

The executors of the will or whatever should deal with this.

Can you give more detail about his will and estate and insurance policies and who's dealing with it.
  • jodie04
    Options
    I do not know this, as far as i know there was nothing,
    living in council housing on state benefit, whether there was any insursance, i dont know. they came back to this country only 2 years ago, beacuse he was so ill, i doubt he would have been able to get any
    i will ask her, but she doesn`t understand,

• CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It seems to me that you/she needs to contact the loan company, explain that he's died and that there is no estate and stop paying.
    Even if he had nothing, someone must have obtained probate.
    When did he die?
  • jodie04
    Options
    He died at the beginning of september this year.

• jodie04
    Options
    what is probate???

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,305 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabout/civil/probate/index.htm

What is probate?
    When a person dies somebody has to deal with their estate (money property and possessions left) by collecting in all the money, paying any debts and distributing what is left to those people entitled to it. Probate is the court’s authority; given to a person or persons to administer a deceased person’s estate and the document issued by the Probate Service is called a Grant of Representation. This document is usually required by the asset holders as proof to show the correct person or persons have the Probate Service’s authority to administer a deceased person’s estate.
    What is the Probate Service?
    The Probate Service forms part of the Family Division of the High Court. It deals with ‘non-contentious’ probate business (where there is no dispute about the validity of a will or entitlement to take a grant), and issues grants of representation, either:
    • Probate (when the deceased person left a valid will and an executor is acting)
    • Letters of administration with will (when a person has left a valid will but no executor is acting)
    or
    • Letters of administration (usually when there is no valid will).
    These grants appoint people known as personal representatives to administer the deceased person’s estate
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,305 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    in other words, if no-one else like a solicitor was appointed to do it, then the court would
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • jodie04
    Options
    i have no idea, will have to try and find out.
    Thanks all

• jodie04
    Options
    CLAPTON wrote: »
    It seems to me that you/she needs to contact the loan company, explain that he's died and that there is no estate and stop paying.
    Even if he had nothing, someone must have obtained probate.
    When did he die?

What would happen if she just stopped paying, can she actually do this, or would they start adding loads of interest and send baliffs round.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family