We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

New Decking. Oil or Stain?

We have had some new decking put down. First time thing for us so was wondering what would be best to use on the decking.
Is it best to just oil it or is it better to stain it for it's first time coat. There are various opinions on this but just wondered if anyone had any advice on here.
Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• Ian1961
    Ian1961 Posts: 93 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I have just put some decking oil on some chairs I have, I also did them last year and to be honest I wasn't very impressed. I'll try another coat tomorrow weather permitting, I'm happy to let you have it if you're near to me, I'm in Northumberland.
  • davidscot
    davidscot Posts: 597 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ian1961 said:
    I have just put some decking oil on some chairs I have, I also did them last year and to be honest I wasn't very impressed. I'll try another coat tomorrow weather permitting, I'm happy to let you have it if you're near to me, I'm in Northumberland.
    Thanks for the offer but I am in Central Scotland so a bit far away.
    Have been looking around for some help and it might be best to stain it but we will see.
    Again thanks
  • Ian1961
    That's fine, hope it goes well.
  • Ian1961
    Sorry but you'll probably read the instructions on the tin, ensure you have a couple of days without rain otherwise if the stain is still wet/tacky and it rains it can spoil the work you've one by 'spotting'
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback