What small DFW things will you do this week 22/03/21?

When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation.  These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.  

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important 😀
LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
Total repaid: £10,490.31
Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
SAVINGS: £20,000
Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113

Comments

• carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 22 March 2021 at 5:13PM
    Morning folks!

I hope I haven't cross posted. 
    @DawnW - I'm glad your little pup is home and I hope he makes a fast recovery

I'm not sure what happened to the weekend. It seemed so fast and so slow at the same time. We had electricians in to do a periodic check on Friday. It was not nearly as in depth as I expected and they were gone within an hour so OH and I went up to the allotment. After lunch I went on a litter picking walk and OH had a bath. His lockdown baths are getting a bit excessive IMHO. He's in and entire tub full for about 2 hours each day. Well I suppose he's not doing much else. He's completely addicted to free online poker at the moment. I think he's playing for about 5 hours a day. I reckon his eyes will go square :smirk:

On Saturday I did some wedding and the garden and we went to the allotment again and to the garden centre to buy maincrop potatoes. Very exciting to have blue ones! Mostly chilled out through the evening. OH was playing poker online with his friends this time! Yesterday I went for a stupidly long walk in a different place and visitied a farm shop on the way to buy onions. Made a large batch of spag bol and then we set to on the trees/hedge in the garden. It is now all down to size thank goodness and so it just needs to thicken out and regrown back a bit. OH nearly dropped a tree on my head and was being a bit of a pain in general by eschewing all my useful suggestions in favour of brute force and ignorance. Men sometimes eh? 

So, in other news, we have decided that we want to be properly thinking about saving for a house now. This was thrown into sharp relief by an ideal place coming onto the market just down the road from us and we are about £5-7k short of making a sensible offer. So now it's time to save up. Obviously we begn by eating takeaway and cr*p all weekend but hey ho. So, actual small things today:
    :star: B/L/D from stores
    :star: Walk anywhere I need to go - done
    :star: Heating off - had to pop it on low as the house was only 15.5 deg (too cold to sit and work)
    :star: Only charge laptop if need to - did need to but unplugged again asap
    :star: Washing outside on the line - done
    :star: Nip to the allotment quickly to prod the soil and see how dry or not it is - done
    :star: Nip to shop to buy spring onion seeds and sesame seeds (one for growing, one for eating!) and NOTHING ELSE - no sesame seeds, might have accidentally bought tomato seeds instead
    :star: Do not eat sugary cr*p (oh my I polished off a whole tub of B&J last night!)
    :star: Do a stretching routine before bed

Ok, that is a proper list and I will tick it off.
    Have a good one all

clf x
  • kayannie
    kayannie Posts: 311 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    @DawnW - Glad to hear you have your little dog back home. You must have missed each other. As you say, it's worth every penny that it cost to have him well again.
    KA
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,439 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Afternoon all :)
    Dog is fine, not liking his crate very much, but he is starting to walk again (just a few steps and then falls over if I don't grab him) and he mustn't overdo it.  He also tends to get very excited and try to jump about and of course he can't do that. I am getting through lots of blankets and puppy pads in his crate, as he isn't great at telling me when he wants a wee - though it is a really good sign that he can wee on his own. TMI I know :D   
    Not much done today. Washing out on line, DD called in for me to go for a walk together. Little GS wanted to feed the ducks at the river and go to the park. Nice day for it.
    Walked to the post office this afternoon to post an ebay parcel. Popped into Poundstretcher and got some cheap plastic pots for the second batch of tomato plants as I had run out, they need to come out of their seed tray. I have grown too many as usual, but people always ask for them.
    Checked banks and moved some money
    OH is cooking a roast dinner tonight, but I need to find some veg in the freezer to go with it.
    Might pot the tomatoes, might wait till tomorrow.
  • mbaz79
    mbaz79 Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Morning 
    Thanks for posting. Hope puppy gets well
    soon @DawnW

Plans for the week:

- two bank shifts to work
    - payday Friday 🥳 
    - meals from stores. 
    - baking
    - apply for focus groups (never seem to get chosen though 😂)
    LBM Dec 2020
    Current Debt £7577
    Hoping to be debt free by Christmas 2021 Number 65 
  • DawnW
    Morning all :)
    Up early, cleaned dog's crate out (wet puppy pad overnight), got him out, took him outside for a few minutes to see if he would go to the loo - he wouldn't, did a few minutes of his physio exercises, fed him, gave him his medication, replaced his puppy pad again (he doesn't seem to know he wants to go at the moment until he really needs to go immediately), put the bin out, did a quick litter pick along the front of our terrace, walked down the road to post a birthday card, emptied the dishwasher, then sat down for a well deserved coffee. Now OH has got up, so he can make me another one!
    Today's list:
    I fancy toast and marmite for breakfast, cheap enough!
    Dog physio exercises
    Ring vet with a small query
    Washing, dry outside on line
    Clean bathroom
    Make a loaf in the BM, as I certainly cba to go shopping today
    Pot tomato plants, check indoor and greenhouse seedlings
    Sort freezer out
    Fish box arrives later, sort out and put in freezer
    Check banks and move money after massive vet's bill
    Pay milk bill
    Leftover pesto with pasta for lunch
    Cold meat, jacket potatoes and salad for dinner
  • ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    @carrielovesfanta

@DawnW - wow, what a drama with your little dog, hope he has a smooth and steady recovery

Hi to all of the regulars and a BIG welcome to all the newbies, this is a really FAB thread with so many lovely, caring, considerate and supportive people.

Not much happening here yet again (so mood and motivation is low) but today we hope to

Check Bank & make PAD - Done
    Swagbucks  (easy Swago Board & Collector Bill) - Done
    Ironing -
    Enter a few comps - 
    Purge a few emails - 
    Read -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer - 
    Checked: Lucky Bob, PMP, WinaDinner 

Have a good week everyone. 

C x
    Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 30/80
    Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

• Evening folks

Inspiration must have descended upon me today as I did a workout this morning and made proper lunch and a cake! OH has made tea while I tinker with his CV as he's applying for an examiner's job.

No money was spent today!

clf x
  • anjyeah
    anjyeah Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Back for another week! Been missing in action due to work just being work... hope everyone is okay! Your adorable pets included :) 
    Little things for this week: 
    • Stay consistent with my weekly budget - Check bank account weekly to stay on track 
    • Possibly start booking extra shifts again once I settled into my new role at work (target is at least two extra a month)
    • Less takeaway, more meal prep (or work meals if possible - the free meals end this week).
    My Debt Free Diary: Virgo In Pursuit
    Debt-Busting Progress: 2020: £13,200 | 2020: £9,200 | 2021: £4,900 
    2022: ongoing 

• carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 25 March 2021 at 9:21AM
    Morning folks

Nice to see the sun back out today after the grey old day that was yesterday. I woke up at 3 minutes to 6 today although for some reason I thought it was an hour later so I'm at my laptop thinking about NEBOSH already. I need to start properly looking at the sample exam papers and thinking about how to answer it. I'm quite worried about writing enough for some of the questions. For example they seem quite keen on questions like
    "Give the moral reasons for managing health and safety"
    Obviously the answer is because everyone has a moral duty not to harm other peope! But this seems to be a 10 mark answer (approx 300 words) and I have no idea of 10 points to make! (or even 5 expanded points?). Hopefully I'll glean enough points in general to pass eh? 

So other than NEBOSH, today will be
    :star: B/L/D from stores - done
    :star: Going for a walk - done. Lovely hot sunshine - sorry Dawn!
    :star: OH is teaching - done
    :star: Need to help OH finish his CV and covering letter - done some more
    :star: Clean the bathrooms - cleaned the walls with sugar soap as they were looking dingy.
    :star: Bit of knitting - done

Have a good one all

clf x

• DawnW
    Morning all :)
    We seem to have the opposite weather to you CLF, as it is so grey and dark here that I have had to put the light on!
    Up early, saw to dog, cleared up kitchen and by about 8.30 had decided to go out in the garden and get some stuff done. I started by pricking out lettuce, viola, land cress and calendula seedlings, planted out some broad beans that had got too big for their pots into the raised bed, planted out the couple of pea seedlings that had germinated into a big container, and sowed some more pea seeds around them, and used bushy twigs that neighbours had pruned off their flowering cherry tree for (free) supports. The pea and bean plants should be ok outside now, they couldn't stay where they were, so must take their chance. If they are frosted off I will just have to sow some more. Also cleared the last few spring onions from another outside container and sowed carrot seed, and sowed some more cress and lettuces under cover, gave a clematis in a big container a can of water. Cleared up, made coffee and now plotting my next move.
    I need to:
    Check the larder supplies (which I have been running down a bit)
    Load of washing, dry outside
    Check indoor seedlings
    Dog physio exercises later. He is asleep atm - I think the medication he is on makes him sleepy. It is best for him to rest as much as possible. He has taken to his crate much better than I thought he would.
    Water pots in the front garden, it is very dry here.
    All meals from home - I am continuing to put off shopping, though I am getting low on some fresh stuff.
    No plans for spending today.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure