Need new mattress

Options
Poppy9
Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I currently have a Rest Assured Andria 2000 pocket sprung, memory foam mattress I bought online in 2014 for £360.  I bought it after buying same mattress for my daughter 18 months previously (bought divan set for her but just mattress for us).  Found it very comfortable but my side has now developed a serious ditch - quite deep and only my side even though my hubby is 1.5 stone heavier !  It's a single sided mattress so it's just rotated periodically.  I would buy another - it's now called Rufford I but I'm put off by my daughters mattress developed exactly same dip on same side last year.  She's lighter than me, was living away 4 years during that time but in middle of lockdown last year her mattress suddenly sagged.  As we couldn't try out mattresses bought her the Rufford as she's moving out soon so will only be spare bed .

The mattress comes with 5 year guarantee and I can get it under £500 for kingsize but have up to £1000 budget but is it worth spending more or just accept it will fail after 5 years and replace ?

:) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)

Comments

• Laz123
    Laz123 Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 March 2021 at 10:02AM
    Options
    It's recommended to change mattresses after about 7 years but I've had some that last many years past that. I'd suggest doing some research on reviews of other makes. I live in rented in Europe and I can hardly lift my queen mattress to turn it over and it must be about 8 - 10 years old. I just bought a memory foam topper with cooling gel for 142 euros so when it becomes scorchio here hopefully it'll stop me sweating so  much.
  • Korkyb
    Korkyb Posts: 623 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    We have just changed mattresses after just 3 years because her indoors couldn't get on with the Geltex one we had.

We bought the below linked one from Costco 6 months ago & even I have to say it is a vast improvement & I get the impression that it aint gonna sag or dip anytime soon (its a heavy solid beast).

The king size is currently £899.99 but we bought it for £599.99 when reduced on offer.

I've seen it reduced again by the same amount recently & imagine it is likely to have the same reduction / offer in a few months again (Costco does seem to have reduction cycles).

https://www.costco.co.uk/Disposal-1989/Pocket-Spring-Bed-Company-Pemberley-Mattress-King/p/141547

Buying a mattress is not easy & I'm not sure a 2 minute bounce on one in a showroom does the trick - I'd rather go by reviews which for the above mattress are overwhelmingly positive (& I would concur with them)..

Was it really "everybody" that was Kung Fu fighting ???
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The most comfortable mattress I've ever slept on is an Ikea one!  I got completely overwhelmed trying to choose from all the different places so just opted for the cheapest super king Ikea had (which is around mid-range in the smaller sizes where more mattresses are available).  I don't think I'd ever buy from anywhere else now.  At £279 for a super king sprung mattress, if it doesn't last many years we'll still have saved money compared to the £2000+ options (probably even compared to £1000 ones).  
  • SameOldRoundabout
    Options
    We’ve recently bought a beautiful mattress from Dreams. We used the gimmicky machine which tells you what you should have and to be fair I really love the one it suggested. We paid £50 extra or so to have a 7 year guarantee so if it sags dips or fails in that time they’ll replace with a new one. Who knows if they WOULD when it came to it but 🤷🏻‍♀️ We paid about £1000 for it but that is superking. 
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,084 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Another vote for Ikea. We have 2 single Hovag (firm) mattresses on a super kingsized bed. The previous ones lasted 10+ years and we replaced with the same ones last year. Kingsize is £229.
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is it the case that a prerequisite for an IKEA mattress is an IKEA bed frame, due to non-standard sizes?
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,084 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Is it the case that a prerequisite for an IKEA mattress is an IKEA bed frame, due to non-standard sizes?

No they do both Continental and UK sizes.
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    Options
    ka7e said:
    Another vote for Ikea. We have 2 single Hovag (firm) mattresses on a super kingsized bed. The previous ones lasted 10+ years and we replaced with the same ones last year. Kingsize is £229.
    Ours is Hovag firm too.  We'll be getting singles in the same for the kids at some point as well.
  • NeverTooLate
    Options
    All the mattresses in our house are ikea - they never seem to age.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,977 Forumite
    Options
    If you have slept in a Premier Inn and found their beds comfortable, you can by the mattress from them. It is a Hypnos contract mattress and better made than most retail mattresses. The King Size is £580 and this includes VAT and delivery. Have a look here: Premier Inn bed | Sleep | Premier Inn
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback