Helps with insurance claim - what to expect?

Well it doesn't rain it pours doesn't it. 

Had a (very) small pipe leak in my en-suite bathroom which has caused chaos in my house. The damage control company said most likely my en-suite will need ripped out including floor and shower, and half of my kitchen downstairs. 

I've never claimed on this kind of scale before. What can I expect with regards to replacing items/redoing the bathroom etc? Whilst it's out I'd probably like to make some changes to the bathroom as we would have done eventually anyway, how would I go about this? 

Do the insurance company just offer you £x amount to settle and then leave you to source the work yourselves? Or do they hand you brochures of their approved trades and get you to choose? 

Thanks

Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    This is the missale/complaints section.   You may find it better to copy and paste your post into the insurance section.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • hieveryone
    hieveryone Posts: 3,845 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    dunstonh said:
    This is the missale/complaints section.   You may find it better to copy and paste your post into the insurance section.

Oh whoops I don't know how I managed that! Thank you 

Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport