🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Trying to tap into the knowledge to help a relative

Options
Thanks for reading .  In short I'm trying to help my godson  . His dads side of the family are shutting him out . His dad who died almost 18 years ago had 2 sister and 1 brother . their parents both passed away this year (his nan & granddad) . He was close to them and its was understood by him and his mum that when they died their estate would be split between their 4 children . The estate is reaching settlement and my godson or his mum has not been involved by the rest of the siblings in any conversation . They do not know what the will says if there was a will sure there will be It was verbal between the grand parents and him . Do they have any right to know the conversations that the probate is going . A verbal conversation sent alarm bells recently when his uncle said " what ever I get I will promise I will give you half of it "  One of the others appears to be pulling all the strings . There is more I could say that's breaking his heart . He is early 20s . Any links to help him (help me to help him ) 

Comments

• mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Check if there was a will here,   | GOV.UK (probatesearch.service.gov.uk)

• Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    clearly depends on whether there was a will of not, if not and the estate was intestate then he is entitled to a share of his father's quarter share (if he has no siblings then he would get the whole share)
    If it appears he is not getting anything then either he was was written out of the will or someone doesn't understand intestacy or what certain clauses in the will mean
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,143 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So it could be worth him writing to find out whether or not there was a will, and reminding his uncles / aunts that if there was not he is entitled to his father's share. 

And if there was a will, checking what it said - occasionally a will specifically excludes the children of a beneficiary who has died. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,951 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 19 March 2021 at 8:54PM
    Options
    Please see comments in bold. 

greenface2 said:
    Thanks for reading .  In short I'm trying to help my godson  . His dads side of the family are shutting him out . His dad who died almost 18 years ago had 2 sister and 1 brother . their parents both passed away this year (his nan & granddad) . He was close to them and its was understood by him and his mum that when they died their estate would be split between their 4 children .  "It was understood" doesn't mean that is what has been specified in the will, assuming there is one. 

The estate is reaching settlement and my godson or his mum has not been involved by the rest of the siblings in any conversation . They do not know what the will says if there was a will sure there will be It was verbal between the grand parents and him . Do they have any right to know the conversations that the probate is going . Not unless one or other of them is executor or administrator of the estate.

A verbal conversation sent alarm bells recently when his uncle said " what ever I get I will promise I will give you half of it "  One of the others appears to be pulling all the strings . There is more I could say that's breaking his heart . I'm not sure what is 'breaking his heart' when his mother, not your godson, would be the beneficiary? He is early 20s . Any links to help him (help me to help him ) If there's a will, then whatever that says stands. Search and if there is, you can download a copy for £1.50: 
    https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate

If there is no will, the rules of intestacy apply: https://www.gov.uk/inherits-someone-dies-without-will
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Options
    Marcon said:

A verbal conversation sent alarm bells recently when his uncle said " what ever I get I will promise I will give you half of it "  One of the others appears to be pulling all the strings . There is more I could say that's breaking his heart . I'm not sure what is 'breaking his heart' when his mother, not your godson, would be the beneficiary? He is early 20s .
    The godson would be the beneficiary not his mother, it is the godson's father and grandparents who have died
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,951 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Marcon said:

A verbal conversation sent alarm bells recently when his uncle said " what ever I get I will promise I will give you half of it "  One of the others appears to be pulling all the strings . There is more I could say that's breaking his heart . I'm not sure what is 'breaking his heart' when his mother, not your godson, would be the beneficiary? He is early 20s .
    The godson would be the beneficiary not his mother, it is the godson's father and grandparents who have died
    Thank you - I misread it.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    Savvy_Sue said:
    So it could be worth him writing to find out whether or not there was a will, and reminding his uncles / aunts that if there was not he is entitled to his father's share...

I like that approach - so long as the "reminder" is a gentle and tactful one.  It sort of puts the aunts/uncles on the back foot in a non-confrontational way - no bridges burned...
  • greenface2
    greenface2 Posts: 471 Forumite
    Options
    Marcon said:
    Savvy_Sue said:
    So it could be worth him writing to find out whether or not there was a will, and reminding his uncles / aunts that if there was not he is entitled to his father's share. 

His aunts and uncle lost both their parents this year - i.e. less than 3 months ago - and the idea that the estate is 'reaching settlement' seems rather premature. Maybe OP could best help their godson by pointing out that he simply needs to wait and see what happens, or at least let a decent interval pass, before doing anything. If he has an entitlement either under the will or under the rules of intestacy, a little patience on his part won't do any harm. 
    thanks all and great advice as usual . was a little longer but both have passed away recently . gdad 12 months and nan 8 months . I'm just here to help support him . 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure