Executors in dispute

Options
My mother died May 2019 and both myself and brother were named executors of her will. We are both equal beneficiaries along with grandchildren. 
He left me to deal with everything when mum died, and did nothing to sort out estate etc and despite advising him that the house was being cleared for sale in 2020, he visited the house but took virtually nothing. 
He is now querying amounts of money that my mum asked me to take from her bank account before she died, I had moved her in with me to care for her and I was Attorney for her Financial POA). Where I had receipts I have provided to him, but as mum was dying and everything happened very quickly, and I was caring for her, there were  a few small amounts of money where I did not have receipts. She also asked me to take 2 sums of money from her account,  one for caring for her and one for a holiday my partner and I had booked, but had cancelled due to caring for her. This was in th3 last few days of her life and I didn’t think nor want to get her to sign forms. Brother did not believe and so a friend of mums swore an affidavit that she had discussed this money with my mother and was aware of her wishes. Brother is asking for receipts for the holiday. 
He is also asking for the value of jewellery and furniture. She had a few pieces of silver, literally trinkets which have sentimental value but no more, which I offered him, but he refused and is asking for monetary value.  The furniture was taken by house clearance but he keeps asking for monetary value. He could have taken the furniture before the house was sold but didn’t.
We have been at loggerheads for nearly 2 years. Our solicitor was on fixed fee and has wiped his hands of us unless we agree to distribute the funds. My brother is refusing mediation and going to court. 
He has MS and does not make sense in much he writes and despite trying to negotiate with him,  I cannot get him to agree to anything. 

Comments

• gettingtheresometime
    Options
    If I were you, then only for transparency, I would be providing receipts for the holiday.

With regards to the jewellery can't you get them valued so the nominal value can be added. Was any money exchanged for the furniture? If so what happened to that money? 
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
     Brother is asking for receipts for the holiday. 

Provide them.

She had a few pieces of silver, literally trinkets which have sentimental value but no more, which I offered him, but he refused and is asking for monetary value.  

If you do not wish to sell the items, have then valued and pay him the value in cash?

With regard to the furniture, was it sold or just given/thrown away?

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,869 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 18 March 2021 at 12:54AM
    Options
    The above helpful advice has already been given when you asked  a similar question over a year ago: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6104062/joint-executor-conflict#latest

I'm not sure what else anyone here can say to help you. Why are you resisting providing the holiday receipts if all is above board?
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback