Bank account PPI

Options
System
System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
This discussion was created from comments split from: Bank account of deceased daughter being closed.

Comments

• Femau
    Femau Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Hi , my hubby had PPI pay out ,  recently,  unfortunately I can't  deposit  the cheque
    He passed away 3 years ago. His account closed. (Used to be joint account)
    I have sent my marriage certificate and death certificate,  but the company is asking for more proof  that I could have his money, I sent a lasting power of attorney for financial affairs,. , I can't  think of any other way to prove it. He started to claim ppi many months prior to his death, I carried on with the claim after his  passing. Please help,  thank you 
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Femau said:
    Hi , my hubby had PPI pay out ,  recently,  unfortunately I can't  deposit  the cheque
    I have sent my marriage certificate and death certificate,  but the company is asking for more proof  that I could have his money, I sent a lasting power of attorney for financial affairs,. , I can't  think of any other way to prove it. He started to claim ppi many months prior to his death, I carried on with the claim after his  passing. Please help,  thank you 
    Did he leave a will? If not, did you apply for letters of administration? Either of those could be used to show you are entitled to the money. Have you asked them what 'proof' they would accept? 

Their concern may well be that if he had a will, he might have left everything to someone other than you, meaning you would not be entitled. And if he did not leave a will, you may not have been entitled to inherit everything. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I sent a lasting power of attorney for financial affairs,. 

A PoA comes to an end on the death of the donor and responsibility for his affairs passes to the Executor/ Administrator of his estate.

Did your husband leave a will?

Otherwise see 

https://www.gov.uk/inherits-someone-dies-without-will

• MSE_ForumTeam2
    MSE_ForumTeam2 Posts: 1,075 Community Admin
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    @Femau
    We have created a new thread for your question
    Official MSE Forum Team member
    This account's Inbox is not monitored
    Please report all problem posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What happened to your husband's assets when he died?
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,872 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Femau said:
    What's the company?
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback