Postgraduate study and disability benefits

Hi
I was wondering if anyone you could help me with some information, I have tried to researched this and I unable to find any clear answers?

I am considering applying to do a part time Masters. I am in receipt of support group ESA and PIP benefits..

Will it affect my benefits if I study part time?

If I fund it myself through savings, family or a charitable trust's grant help will if affect my benefits?

And would I still be able to apply for DSA if I get my fees paid?

And if I apply for a postgraduate loan will that affect my benefits? Will I also have to be reassessed?

I am a little confused, and I would be very grateful for any guidance anyone may have..

Thanks
Mag.

Comments

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,267
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Financially, your PIP will not be affected.  I don't know about ESA with enough certainty to advise.  It may depend on whether your ESA is income-based.

However, if the studying contradicts any of the reasons you're claiming PIP and/or ESA, be aware that will go against you at your next assessments (it won't trigger a PIP assessment but they will take it into account if you are still studying by the next time they assess you - and if you have to inform ESA it could give them cause to reassess you for that).
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,817
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 16 March 2021 at 5:35PM
    As has been advised, it will depend whether your ESA is Contributions based or Income Related. If any part of it is Income Related then any maintenance loan will affect it and reduce it £1 for £1 even if you decide not to take the loan.
    I'd advise you to ring the disabled students helpline and they will be able to give you all the advice you need but you need to make sure you know exactly what ESA you're claiming before ringing them. https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help/helplines/disabled-students-helpline

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback