Royal mail - scam or legit

Options
hdh74
hdh74 Posts: 2,855 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
edited 13 March 2021 at 6:02PM in Compers chat corner
Just got a text saying I have a parcel which needs postage paying on it. It tells me to to to https://royalmail-fees-parcel.com which takes me to the Royal Mail site but not to the correct URL for paying fees on incoming mail. The message came from 07796805615 - which I can find no record of. I do have one outstanding prize - low value but more than the £2.99 it is asking for. It also says "if unpaid, the package will return." (bad grammar normally alerts me to problems but there's no specific dodgy site it's trying to send me to.) All rather odd.
2018 - £562  2019 - £130 2020 - £276  2021 - £106 2022 - £140

Comments

• mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,897 Forumite
    edited 13 March 2021 at 7:49PM
    Options
    mcafee 
    Website status:

Suspicious

site status icon

This site looks a little risky to us, so we flagged it just in case. Make sure you trust this site if you choose to proceed. Better safe than sorry!

info-icon
    Phishing

The "https://www.royalmail.com/" would appear to be the standard url
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,897 Forumite
    Options
    If I ignore the warning and proceed I get - 

Deceptive site ahead

Attackers on royalmail-fees-parcel.com may trick you into doing something dangerous like installing software or revealing your personal information (for example, passwords, phone numbers, or credit cards). Learn more

• One-Eye
    One-Eye Posts: 66,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How do Royal Mail know your mobile number?

Normal process is for your parcel to be held at the nearest delivery centre. Your regular postman will post a card through your door giving you options. Dozens of MSE compers got one for THIS COMP
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Scam, I get them and the same from Hergest at least twice a week
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Comping_Rich
    Comping_Rich Posts: 20,796 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Royal Mail have warned of this scam, https://metro.co.uk/2021/02/24/royal-mail-warns-of-delivery-scam-that-asks-customers-to-pay-for-parcels-14135960/

As has been pointed out above, if you do have a package which requires payment, your postman/post women will leave a card stating fees need to be paid, whether that is customs fees or to pay for a package that has not been posted with the correct postage.

Posting is a privilege, not a right. This is a privately-owned site. Posting is a privilege, not a right. Any inappropriate posts or any issues that take up a disproportionate amount of resources or make it a worse place to be will be stopped at our discretion - with or without explanation. No one pays to use this site; when there are issues, we pay to resolve them. Sometimes we need to prioritise spending money on the site, other issues or better resources.
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue. A Guardian article once "doffed its cap" to this forum as being the one place where consumers can collect together and fight back. Our job is to help keep it that way.

Facebook = FB

Twitter/X = TW/X

Instagram = IG

Threads = THS

Snapchat = SC

Rafflecopter = RC

Gleam = GL

LinkedIn = LI

TikTok = TT

YouTube = YT

Pinterest = PIN

Twitch = TWH

Discord = DIS

Viral Sweep = VS

Sweep Widget = SW

• hdh74
    hdh74 Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    edited 13 March 2021 at 9:43PM
    Options
    Thanks all. Weird, I ended up at the actual Royal mail homepage, I think my browser must have re-directed me or something. 
    2018 - £562  2019 - £130 2020 - £276  2021 - £106 2022 - £140
  • StokieBecks
    StokieBecks Posts: 4,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    hdh74 said:
    Thanks all. Weird, I ended up at the actual Royal mail homepage, I think my browser must have re-directed me or something. 
    Not weird. They want you to think it is the genuine royal  mail site so that you input your card details and pay the fee (and they have your card details)

I have had these texts from various different numbers. I forward all of them to 7726 (spelt spam on an old keypad) and then block the number
    £2 Savers Club for 2022 #12
  • Ms_Dee
    Ms_Dee Posts: 7,875 Forumite
    Options
    Please NEVER click on unknown links, just clicking a link can download spyware etc to your device. 
    People can also fake which phone number they are using and make it look like a genuine number.
    If ever unsure, phone Royal Mail or your local office, or go to the official site.
    Thank you to everyone who posts competitions and good luck to everyone who enters.
  • Blulu
    Blulu Posts: 7,634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I figure with anything like this, do nothing until you've checked it out - as you did. If it's genuine, they'll contact you again. If it's a scam they may or may not contact you again, but by then you'll have had time to Google/speak to someone/post on MSE about it.

Blu XXX
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be
    I'm not scared to be seen
    I make no apology
    THIS IS ME!
  • Liamoac
    Liamoac Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My sister got this too. Definite scam
Meet your Ambassadors