New Ebay payment usage

edited 12 March at 4:51PM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
8 replies 483 views
CacranCacran Forumite
514 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
✭✭
I am totally confused with the new method of using Ebay. Too much to understand for me.
As a buyer, can I still use PayPal to pay for things or does it charge a fee? Can I just carry on as normal? Do I have money back protection, should there be a lost item or item not as described?
As a seller ( very occasionally), is it going to cost me more to use paypal than it does now? Or will I need to use ebay to transfer money into my bank without PayPal? Will I have to give my bank details to Ebay? or will they already have them?
I am bamboozled with the instructions.
Keep on trucking!

Replies

• missilemissile Forumite
    11.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might get a better response on this forum > Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    12.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @soolin can you move this one please.
  • jon81ukjon81uk Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cacran said:
    I am totally confused with the new method of using Ebay. Too much to understand for me.
    As a buyer, can I still use PayPal to pay for things or does it charge a fee? Can I just carry on as normal? Do I have money back protection, should there be a lost item or item not as described?
    As a seller ( very occasionally), is it going to cost me more to use paypal than it does now? Or will I need to use ebay to transfer money into my bank without PayPal? Will I have to give my bank details to Ebay? or will they already have them?
    I am bamboozled with the instructions.

As a buyer, can I still use PayPal to pay for things or does it charge a fee?
    Yes can use PayPal, no fees for buyers same as any other website that accepts PayPal.
    Can I just carry on as normal?
    Yes.
    Do I have money back protection, should there be a lost item or item not as described?
    Yes no change.
    As a seller ( very occasionally), is it going to cost me more to use paypal than it does now?
    Same fees overall, but full 12.8% + 30p goes to eBay instead of 10% to eBay and 2.8% and 30p to PayPal.
    Or will I need to use ebay to transfer money into my bank without PayPal? Will I have to give my bank details to Ebay? or will they already have them?
    When eBay are ready to move you as a seller to the new payment system they will ask for your bank details to make payments to. You can choose whether you want payments weekly as one lump or daily as transactions clear through.
  • edited 12 March at 11:50PM
    moleratmolerat Forumite
    25.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 March at 11:50PM
    The only difference you will notice is that if the seller is on Ebay payments you will go through Paypal Checkout and the payment will show as going to Ebay  with an order number rather than the direct link from the buying page and the payment going to Ebay - Seller Name
  • EuunosEuunos Forumite
    1 Post
    Fifth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Suggest you check timescales.  PayPal - money in account in seconds. Use from PayPal immediately or transfer to bank account ready for use in minutes.  
    Ebay managed payments.  Up to 2 days processing and can take 4 days to clear in bank account. 
    I was paid for it me on 29 April. It will be processed on 3 may to
    my bank account. Then 4 days to clear ? 
    For a seller that is a long delay. 

• jon81ukjon81uk Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Euunos said:
    Suggest you check timescales.  PayPal - money in account in seconds. Use from PayPal immediately or transfer to bank account ready for use in minutes.  
    Ebay managed payments.  Up to 2 days processing and can take 4 days to clear in bank account. 
    I was paid for it me on 29 April. It will be processed on 3 may to
    my bank account. Then 4 days to clear ? 
    For a seller that is a long delay. 

Unfortunately that’s the way payment processing works. PayPal was willing to payout while waiting for card transactions to clear. Almost every other payment processor doesn’t allow withdrawals until funds have cleared.
  • KxMxKxMx Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is also a Bank Holiday on Monday. 
  • SolarjunkieSolarjunkie Forumite
    378 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    So that's where the ebay payment of £1.42 comes from! I was puzzled as I only sell the odd thing when there's £1 max fees. Plus costs I now see, I had thought it was a total of £1. Ebay still seem to be the biggest platform and reaches the most people, I have tried facebook etc but still get most interest from ebay. The last thing I sold went for over £70 and I would have asked £50 so I guess that covers the cost of the £1.42!
    Deal with things as they are, not as they should be.