Bank account of deceased daughter being closed

Options
The bank account of my deceased daughter is being closed I'm unsure what to do with the money,
I've heard of estate accounts 
I'm on benefits so if it's put in my account will it effect my benefits even though once probate sorted its going in a trust for my grand daughters 
Any help be great 

Comments

• Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 9 March 2021 at 9:24PM
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss

Surely the account is being frozen, rather than closed, until such time as any debts she owed are paid / and probate etc. (If applicable) is granted?.

Normally the executor (you?) could get a separate executor account with a bank to receive proceeds that may arise e.g. share or property sales, death in service employment benefits, life insurance etc. that can then be paid into trusts for her children, or to other beneficiaries (if there are any).

The money shouldn't flow through your personal account, and it could  be messy if it does so in terms of benefits (or if you were to pass away)
  • gilly58
    gilly58 Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi I've been told the account is being closed, Ive applied for probate has there was no will
    How do you open an executor account, can you do that without probate 
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    gilly58 said:
    Hi I've been told the account is being closed, Ive applied for probate has there was no will
    How do you open an executor account, can you do that without probate 
    You just go along to a bank and ask - I used HSBC but I'd expect all the high street banks to offer them.  I opened my executor account a couple of days after my father died - so well before probate etc. 
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You mention that your daughter died intestate.

You have applied for Letters of Administration.

Your daughter died in England/Wales and there is no living spouse so that the children inherit the estate in equal shares?

The children are under age 18?

https://www.willpack.co.uk/bereaved-minors-trusts-what-are-they-and-how-do-they-work/

If you cannot open an exor account because you have not yet obtained Letters of Administration,  ( I know that Barclays for one will not open an exor account before probate is granted) you might consider opening  a fresh account in your own name and depositing all monies due to the estate there.

You could advise the Benefits people of the existence of the account and the circumstances causing you to need to hold the money on behalf of your grandchildren until a Trust for each child can be established.

• HappyScotsman
    Options
    I'm in the process of creating an exor account with RBS (aka NatWest). I've opened the personal account, which took minutes as I'm an existing customer. Once I fill in their form, it will convert the personal account into an executor account.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    does the estate  need letters of admin?
    did she have any assets that need it?

if the children are the beneficiaries it should be them or their adult with parental responsibility that deals with the estate unless they don't want to.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Surely the money should go to parents if the person died intestate. 
    If parents are on benefits the surely cant by  pass that money onto the granchildren
    Happy to be corrected
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £325 of £366
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    My condolences.  We're all assuming the grandchildren mentioned are your late daughter's children, is that correct?
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback