Cancelling Sky

Options
Hi everyone.
I’ve been with sky for several years but the constant price increase are finally too much so I’ve put in my cancellation (for the TV).  Broadband will stay as its an ok price any I can’t see much in the way of savings by going elsewhere after a quick google. 
so, just need some advice on the TV please, how will I watch ‘normal’ free channels? 1-5 for example?  I don’t have an aerial. I have to send all sky kit back soon.  I have a smart TV for apps like Netflix, iPlayer etc buy my query is more on live TV like BBC and ITV please, is there a way to get this?  Thank you 

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can watch the BBC channels on the iPlayer, ITV on the Hub, the Channel 4 channels on All4 and presumably Channel 5 on whatever they're calling their On Demand product this week.  You may have all these apps already on your Smart TV.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There are apps for most live tv which may be opn your tv. However the quality is not on par with the sky you have been using.

Maybe get a freesat box to use with your current dish. Yes the current one works fine on a "SKYQ LNB" (which you obviously have otherwise you wouldnot be sending anything back!).

Alternative is fereview box and an aerial, though again quality is sub par (thoug the HD is ok mostly).

• pbartlett
    pbartlett Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    buy a freesat (not freeview) pvr. connect it to the twin satellite feeds from the dish. watch and record all the freesat channels.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Alternatively, buy a second hand $ky HD box off eBay and use that to get the free channels.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    J_B said:
    Alternatively, buy a second hand $ky HD box off eBay and use that to get the free channels.
    Won't work if the OP has got SkyQ as the LNB on the dish is not compatible with the "old" SkyHD system.
  • callum5
    callum5 Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 March 2021 at 12:34PM
    Options
    Look at TVPlayer (https://tvplayer.com/uk/) It gives you most of the live Freeview channels online for free plus some of the premium channels for a monthly fee (£6.99). Now TV (https://www.nowtv.com/tv-passes) is another option for Premium $ky channels including Sports, Movies and Kids.

If you are in a strong signal area (you can check at https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/coverage-checker/detailed-view) this indoor aerial works well https://www.amazon.co.uk/RGTech-Monarch-50-Indoor-Freeview-Black/dp/B01M658GTW however you may need a amplifier to get all the channels working properly depending on your location https://www.amazon.co.uk/One-All-Signal-Booster-Splitter-White/dp/B00QMEO78O - Check your address on the Freeview Coverage Checker to make sure you are in a good signal area with preferably high numbers in the green boxes.

Hope this helps
  • callum5
    edited 10 March 2021 at 12:36PM
    Options
    Also for your broadband look at USwitch or Quidco Compare as it is even better as they will give you cashback plus any provider offers. 
  • macskin
    macskin Posts: 5 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I called Sky yesterday to make sure I could leave without being charged anything due to Sky's annual price rise. I got put throw to the recession team told them I wanted to leave due to the price increase he offered new contract at the same price I am paying already. I turned him down as I had already found a better deal from Now Broadband for £18 a month saving me £4 a month. Also by using TopCashback to get Now Broadband I get £80 cash back I save even more.
    Now Broadband are offering free anytime calls on all there broadband deals.

12 moth Now Broadband + setup £221
    less £80 cash back                         £141
    price per month including cash back £11.74
  • callum5
    Options
    macskin said:
    I called Sky yesterday to make sure I could leave without being charged anything due to Sky's annual price rise. I got put throw to the recession team told them I wanted to leave due to the price increase he offered new contract at the same price I am paying already. I turned him down as I had already found a better deal from Now Broadband for £18 a month saving me £4 a month. Also by using TopCashback to get Now Broadband I get £80 cash back I save even more.
    Now Broadband are offering free anytime calls on all there broadband deals.

12 moth Now Broadband + setup £221
    less £80 cash back                         £141
    price per month including cash back £11.74
    Same with me, I contacted Sky yesterday and they wouldn't give me a good deal and said "they don't do combined TV & Broadband offers anymore" so I am staying with Sky for the TV because my existing price is only going up by £1 and it is already a good deal and switched to Vodafone broadband with £80 voucher and £37 cashback which makes the monthly cost around £17
    So I was paying £48 with Sky (soon was going up to about £55) and now paying £22 to Sky and around £17 to Vodafone so it's only costing me £39 per month 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback