Tackling This Debt One At A Time

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    On a roll today, decided to do the food shop today instead of tomorrow, saves going out again tomorrow!  Tried to do a food shop that will last until 16th March (as my budget resets again) As my little BB's are back at school from Monday, I have all the lunchboxes planned and will be baking tomorrow too! So chuffed, I'm well organised today! As an added bonus, when I got home MrBB had ironed his shirts!! 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 6 March 2021 at 8:06PM
    Options
    Had to pop back to Tesco as hubby's gluten free bread was all mouldy  :s. Going at this time of the evening was a bonus as they were selling off their garden shrubs for £1.75 each instead of £8! Bought 5 for the boarder out the front.  I had budgeted £50 to buy some plants next month so this was an absolute saving I couldn't refuse and for a change they didn't look half dead! So I can put my £41.25 back into the pot for something else or just save it!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited 7 March 2021 at 8:45PM
    Options
    Another spend free day today! The plan is not to spend anything until next Saturday when I will buy mothers day gifts. This year is extremely low key and will be a card and some daffodils.  My family do not really celebrate these events but still like to show appreciation.

Also asked what plans we (as a family) are making for our holidays this year...truth be told...absolutely nothing.  We have a booking between Christmas and New Year this year as we had to move the date - this is hopefully going to be our first time away and to visit family too! But I'm not holding my breath.  We have decided to do some decorating instead and hopefully some days out if we're allowed.  All to be budgeted and paid for IN FULL and not put on ANY credit.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited 8 March 2021 at 4:52PM
    Options
    Survived my first day back at work with a full class rather than having 6/7 to support.  Feeling exhausted as I'd been up since 4am with absolute sheer panic of having a full class as well as all the rules to abide which was on our risk assessment.  But it's over and tomorrow is another day.  Another NSD as well today so I'm feeling pretty good about myself.  Even though my bank balance is looking rather sorry for itself, knowing that everything has been paid is a good relief.  As the weather seems rather fine and quite warm when stood in the sun, I may get out into the garden (or at least the front garden) to plant my bargain shrubs but I may just see how I feel as I'd been up since silly o'clock and tiredness seems to have a way catching me out!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Survived another day.  Was a small spend day today as DS needed last minute stationery for school tomorrow (even though I asked him Saturday if he needed any  :#). Hoping for a spend free rest of week until Sunday. My roof needed attention and had the final bill so paid for that today, this was planned and had money aside to pay for this.  Felt gutted to have that money leave my savings account but in control that this didn't go on a credit card to pay off later.  It actually felt refreshing paying for something that I already had money for.  I will just have to remind myself how this feels rather than dreading the credit card bill dropping through the letter box.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm so annoyed! Too frustrated to type yesterday and upon reflection I wish I had but I went to bed instead.  The bubble in my class closed yesterday morning as a precautionary measure as a person was displaying symptoms.. we had only just started the day, so at 9:15am phone calls are being made to parents to collect their children.  The last child gets collected at just after 1:30pm!   As I proceed to my car, I then get a phone call from one of my children's school telling me to collect my child as their bubble as closed due to an actual positive case, thankfully they're only 2 minutes round the corner.  Unfortunately, I needed a few essentials which I wished I collected before work, I had that feeling but ignored it!! So after a phone call and a message with a list to Mr BB to get after he finishes work I feel a little apprehensive but willing to trust my darling husband.  He comes in all proud as I've 'let him' do some shopping.  Looking all proud, he presents me with two huge bags of shopping. I needed 6 items!!!! So instead of spending no more than £6/7 at the most....£38 later!!!  Buying branded stuff as he thought ' it looks nicer' An extra punnet of grapes as they were on offer and a bottle of Jack Daniels, even though he has already got some.  I really give up I truly do, so there goes my budget for the rest of the week.  :#
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I had a look today at my spreadsheets to see if I could ween off my credit card (the one I pay for food etc) that I pay in full every month so I have more cash in the bank and have more flexibility to pay either with cash or card.  If I did this it would mean that I wouldn't be able to pay off as much as I would like on my existing cards for about 2/3 months but I'm sure in the long run it would be better.  It would mean that I can then just concentrate on CC1 & CC2 and then eventually my outgoings will become less complicated.. 
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    How frustrating that your husband went off plan with the shopping. I have been there too and that would annoy me intensely especially buying alcohol when you are trying to be careful. Can you give him a maximum limit in the future so he just does not go mad?  So give him a list and a maximum amount to spend so he knows h3 can't just buy anything he wants. Or don't let him do the shopping. 

If you use CC3 for monthly spends do you still keep some control over it? I am a fan of putting money aside for food shopping when money is tight rather than use credit so I agree maybe weaning yourself off using a credit card for monthly spends is a good idea. We use our cashback credit card for supermarket and fuel but I either put money aside to pay it or don't let it go over £500 a month which is easy at the moment as not much fuel being bought. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • QueenJess
    QueenJess Posts: 3,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I totally sympathise with the overboard shopping. I always did the shopping until Covid and then I started sending DH with a list. He is also one for buying branded/most expensive items as they "look nicer" and it drives me mad.

It's been a whole year now and he isn't at my level yet, but has realised this stuff seems expensive and the bill is high. He started (of his own accord) to bring home all the own branded items to try out, of which 95% have stayed. He was so proud of himself like it was something new...

Anyway, my point is that there is always some hope. Maybe be really specific next time with him! I get annoyed everytime DH gets it wrong or gets extra stuff. He generally gets the message and prefers to avoid "the glare" these days 🤣
    2024 decluttering: 6,935 ⭐️🥉⭐️🏅🏅🥈⭐️🏅🥇🏅⭐️🏅
    April mini kitchen declutter challenge: 38/50
    2024 decluttering goals: 🥉3,000 🥈4,000 🥇5,000 💎12,000 🏆 20,000
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks @enthusiasticsaver & @QueenJess... I gave him a right roasting and also sat him down and showed him the impact it had on our budget. He didn't realise how tight things were.  This is why I wanted to review the spending on CC3 as it's so easy to get carried away.  At least by using the current account he will think twice.  

It's only because I got caught out with a suspected case of COVID that I had to go straight home (via picking up daughter who's been in contact with a positive case - you couldn't make it up!) and he had to do the shopping for me.  Thankfully for me, it was a false alarm.  

Just been through my spends and how I can wean off the 3rd credit card.  It will take two months and will not have to pay any interest either, which is a bonus!  My main concern is it will lead to another CC balance that has got out of control and will have that to factor in.  Decided to have a cash pot for MrBB spends and another for fuel for the month.  This will leave me to sort food etc.  Will go by my gut feeling next time and get the shopping before work, just in case.   Still on plan to clear CC1 by the end of the year, which is another added bonus.  New year will see me hacking at the last CC 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback