Successful PIP MR

Hey all, I posted back in Jan regarding some advice for putting in a PIP MR and today I have received good news. 

I made my first PIP claim back in Sept 2020 and in Jan I was awarded Enhanced Daily Living and Standard Mobility. I was keen on asking for an MR for the “Following Journeys - cannot follow unfamiliar journeys” descriptor, however I took all advice on board and was really anxious and scared about not having the decision changed and potentially having to go to tribunal. 

I sent off my MR in Feb with some additional evidence and highlighted all the points from the decision letter in which I needed clarification on, (for example; being able to drive a manual car, engagement with the assessor over the phone, not suffering from OPD) etc etc. I also quoted some points made at previous tribunals and judge’s decision based on the descriptor. 

Today I called for an update on my MR and I was informed that I have been awarded both Enhanced Daily Living and Enhanced Mobility. I will also receive the backdated difference for my mobility from Sept 2020 (when I first claimed). 

I guess I was part of the small percentage of claimants to have my decision changed at MR stage and I could not be happier. I would also like to advise you all to not give up and if you feel you are entitled, get advice, put in a written MR and even go to tribunal if you have to. 

Thanks to all those that gave advice from this forum and also use https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk website. 

Good luck to you all with your PIP claims. 

Comments

• Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,902
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Excellent news.
    I seem to recall that you put some detailed case law in the MR, it's interesting that this approach succeeded at MR stage without having to go on to appeal.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,267
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hooray!  That's great news, and thanks for updating :smiley:
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Fabulous news, well done! It's just such a shame you had to go through such agonies and worries beforehand. And it takes so very long! However, now you can relax and hopefully the back payments will be very welcome.  :)
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,904
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Well done.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Newly_retired
    Newly_retired Posts: 2,944
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Well done and thanks for the update.

• Waylaid
    Waylaid Posts: 19
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Woohoo! Congrats!
  • jak
    jak Posts: 2,027
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Brilliant. That’s great news. I also had my award changed at MR. I also put in a formal complaint with the company who did the assessment due to a report filled with rubbish alongside the MR. They ended up re-writing the report, apologising and changed my award from standard care to enhanced both. X
    2022 Comp total (prizes + free spins): £494.81 #20 £12 a day Jan: £382.95/£372 #57 360 1p challenge: £17.70 £10 a day Feb: £571.09/£280 March: £311.96/£310
  • DTyaya
    DTyaya Posts: 16
    First Post
    Forumite
    jak said:
    Brilliant. That’s great news. I also had my award changed at MR. I also put in a formal complaint with the company who did the assessment due to a report filled with rubbish alongside the MR. They ended up re-writing the report, apologising and changed my award from standard care to enhanced both. X
    This is amazing. Well done to you. 

I understand that some may believe that there is a risk to losing points as even citizens advice advised me not to risk it but I always believe in fighting for what you’re truly entitled to. I was not going to give up with the poor decision or report. 

• DTyaya said:

Hey all, I posted back in Jan regarding some advice for putting in a PIP MR and today I have received good news. 

I made my first PIP claim back in Sept 2020 and in Jan I was awarded Enhanced Daily Living and Standard Mobility. I was keen on asking for an MR for the “Following Journeys - cannot follow unfamiliar journeys” descriptor, however I took all advice on board and was really anxious and scared about not having the decision changed and potentially having to go to tribunal. 

I sent off my MR in Feb with some additional evidence and highlighted all the points from the decision letter in which I needed clarification on, (for example; being able to drive a manual car, engagement with the assessor over the phone, not suffering from OPD) etc etc. I also quoted some points made at previous tribunals and judge’s decision based on the descriptor. 

Firstly, congratulations on success at the MR stage. I fear that is where I am heading, as I have just had my medical report through, and awarded same as your initial award - enhanced DL and standard Mobility. THey have not awarded any points for following an unfamiliar journey (the 4 points descriptor) and 8 points for moving around. The assessor referred to an earlier assessment I had done (which I had to take to appeal and ultimately lost due to the shocking assessment - this one I got recorded!) stating that there was no needs stated. However, I was awarded the 4 points on that assessment - so I would like to argue that I should still be eligible, particarly as the assessor refers elsewhere in her report about my inability to go places on my own. 

Sorry for waffling, but do you have any links to the previous judge's decisions you referred to? Thanks in advance. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback