12 year oldCCJ

I have a CCJ don’t even remember what it is for it was 12 years ago when I had health issues and a lot of things went by me 
anyhow this debt had been added to a step change account t which my then husband had sorted we have since separated and payments of just £5 a month were stopped last payment being 2016. No more has been paid it has I feel  been sold on to a Mortimer Clarke solicitors who have recently contacted me asking me to fill out my financial commitments.  I wrote to them offering £750 to clear the unknown debt of £3000 ? They never got back to me so I emailed what they thought of my offer then last week they sent me a letter with a ‘copy’ of what they said they had sent to me but I never received anything g from them saying there client will. It accept but would accept £2000
i am really troubled by this it’s a very old debt are the solicitors acting on there own behalf and maybe have bought this debt 
can I have any help please it is causing me such mental anguish I am
paranoid
is a CCJ from 12 years ago, or even what the original debt was for that must take it to at least15 years+ can I keep ignoring? 

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    This isn't really a subject for a savings & investments board so you'd be better off posting over on the debt-free wannabe board instead: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/debt-free-wannabe
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You will get better answers to this on the forums related to debts rather than savings. FWIW my own understanding is that it is theoretically possible to enforce a CCJ which is more than 6 years old, however it is not straightforward and would usually require permission from a court.
  • George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 February 2021 at 1:02PM
    Aretnap said:
    You will get better answers to this on the forums related to debts rather than savings. FWIW my own understanding is that it is theoretically possible to enforce a CCJ which is more than 6 years old, however it is not straightforward and would usually require permission from a court.
    I thought that as payments towards the debt had been made up until 2016 then the 6 years given by the limitations act begins from this time and not from when the CCJ was issued so nothing else is needed from the court at the moment.
  • maxsteam
    maxsteam Posts: 718 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Yup, it's not statute barred until 6 years after the last payment or correspondence. Statute barred just means that it can't be enforced in a court but there's already a CCJ. My advice would be first to establish whether you are dealing with a genuine solicitor (I suspect that "Mortimer Clarke Solicitors Ltd" is just a trading name for Cabot debt collectors and they do not provide solicitor services other than debt collection), then write asking for full details about what the debt relates to together with details of the CCJ. If/when you write, you should keep a posting receipt and a copy of the letter. It's unlikely that you will get a reply but, if anyone else chases the debt, you can say that you tried to communicate but got no reply.

Unfortunately, if you start paying people like this on their first letter, you can expect many more similar letters to land on your doorstep.
  • Daintyorb
    Daintyorb Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Mortimer Clarke Solicitors are part of the Cabot Credit Management Group.   They would have to make an Application to Court in order to enforce the debt and  would have to have a really good reason why they have not done so before now. Seems that they are sending out correspondence on old debts, to see what responses they can get.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback