We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Change of registered title from three to two

I own a flat jointly with my wife and my son, which is let out. There is no mortgage on this property. We have since helped him purchase another flat for himself and he no longer has any interest in this jointly owned flat so we wish to remove his name from the title deeds and there will be no payment involved. I know that I have to fill in Form AP1 and TR1 as well as ID1 for identity verification. Are there any other forms to fill in? eg Form RX3 and ST5? Can anyone help or the Land Registry rep please confirm?

Comments

  • Tiglet2
    Tiglet2 Posts: 2,734 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Yes, just AP1, TR1 and ID1 needed, together with the Land Registry fee (think it is £40)
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,727 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Did your Son have to pay extra stamp duty ?

  • greatcrested
    greatcrested Posts: 5,925 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 28 February 2021 at 10:32PM
    Presumably your son paid 3% 2nd property SDLT when he bought his flat.
    There is no SDLT on the transfer of ownership of the let property as no money is changing hands.
    Not sure if you have to complete a SDLT Return to HMRC stating zero SDLT to pay. Check the gov SDLT website.
    edit: found it:
    You must send an SDLT return if you pay more than £40,000 for a property - even if there’s no SDLT due. There are some exemptions.


  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 6,367 Organisation Representative
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    I own a flat jointly with my wife and my son, which is let out. There is no mortgage on this property. We have since helped him purchase another flat for himself and he no longer has any interest in this jointly owned flat so we wish to remove his name from the title deeds and there will be no payment involved. I know that I have to fill in Form AP1 and TR1 as well as ID1 for identity verification. Are there any other forms to fill in? eg Form RX3 and ST5? Can anyone help or the Land Registry rep please confirm?
    Reads right. RX3 and ST5 would generally only be used if you were looking to cancel a Form A restriction 
    I’m guessing you applied for one when you were all registered so if your Son is coming off is it needed? We can’t advise you on that 
    “Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • papatango_2
    papatango_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks very much for your prompt reply. Yes we did apply for the original ownership to be tenants in common, but having removed my son from the title register my wife and I wish to continue owning the flat as tenants in common. So would I be right to assume that in this case we would not need to complete form RX3 / ST5? I am not seeking advice, merely clarifying on the forms needed for my particular transaction. Thanks again.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.