PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Stamp Duty

Options
I have purchased a new build property which I have exchanged contracts on, the completion of the property is July/August, can I use the Substantial Performance rule?
In that, if I pay the developer 90% of the value of the property before the end of the SDLT do I qualify for that date even though I cannot take possession until its fully built.
Thanks 
David 

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 February 2021 at 2:20PM
    Options
    Merely handing over a bunch of the cash isn't "substantial performance". If you moved in as well, that might be - but I doubt either of these things is going to happen.

Besides, do you really want to hand over 90% of the price and get nothing in return?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I hope none of that 90% is a mortgage lender's money...
  • SDLT_Geek
    SDLT_Geek Posts: 2,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    davidmcn said:
    Merely handing over a bunch of the cash isn't "substantial performance". If you moved in as well, that might be - but I doubt either of these things is going to happen.

Besides, do you really want to hand over 90% of the price and get nothing in return?
    The definition of “substantial performance” in Finance Act 2003 s44 for SDLT does include paying the seller the whole or substantially the whole of the price.  HMRC say in guidance that this would usually be met by paying 90% of the price.

I agree with @davimcn that in practice this can rarely happen.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    SDLT_Geek said:
    davidmcn said:

The definition of “substantial performance” in Finance Act 2003 s44 for SDLT does include paying the seller the whole or substantially the whole of the price.  HMRC say in guidance that this would usually be met by paying 90% of the price.
    I stand corrected. In that case, fine as long as you're (a) a cash purchaser and (b) mental.
  • SDLT_Geek
    SDLT_Geek Posts: 2,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    davidmcn said:
    SDLT_Geek said:
    I stand corrected. In that case, fine as long as you're (a) a cash purchaser and (b) mental.
    Agreed!  There will be very cases where buyers can take advantage of the “substantial performance” rule to come within the holiday.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback