Auto-Renewing of Domain Names

TerrysdelightTerrysdelight Forumite
1.2K Posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hi 
Last year I registered a couple of domain names in anticipation of setting up my own little business.  I haven't got the business off the ground yet (but I'm hoping!!).   Anyway, I've had an email saying it's time to Auto-renew the domains.  The domains are registered through GoDaddy.   The renewal costs seem high, especially with the added cost of of Full Domain Privacy.
 Do I have any choice in the matter about who I renew the domain names with?

Many thanks
Terrysdelight

Replies

• CoysCoys Forumite
    38 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You can transfer-out to anyone you like, but GoDaddy may charge you a "release fee".
    If so, and you don't want to pay, you could let the names lapse and hope no-one else takes them before you register them with someone else.
  • SandtreeSandtree Forumite
    10.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Standard business operating... sell with a discount on year one and renew at full price,

Why are you paying for "domain privacy" though? You have a legal requirement to identify the legal entity running any business website so if you've got the name on the address on the site why pay to hide the same on the domain whois?
  • dan958dan958 Forumite
    770 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Sandtree said:
    Standard business operating... sell with a discount on year one and renew at full price,

Why are you paying for "domain privacy" though? You have a legal requirement to identify the legal entity running any business website so if you've got the name on the address on the site why pay to hide the same on the domain whois?
    Because GoDaddy like to trick people into buying it. On their website it says Full Domain Privacy & Protection includes things like 'Shuts down domain hijackers.', which most non-tech people will see and then buy it.
  • TerrysdelightTerrysdelight Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Forumite
    Sandtree said:

I have no idea!  I'm just trying to do the right thing.  At the moment I am reading so much that I am confusing myself and wonder if I will ever get my little business venture of the ground.  I tend to worry about the things I know nothing about!
  • TerrysdelightTerrysdelight Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Forumite
    I think I am just going to bite the bullet.  Get my website designed and hosted and then once the business is up and running (hopefully ok), I can then look into moving it or upgrading the package at some point if need be.
  • harenghareng Forumite
    553 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Terry have a look at 1&1iosis i hanged to them over 2 years back. First 12 months were £1 p/m inciding domain name registration and hosting, now its £2.4 p/m.
    Beats the 3 year domain renewal charges and hosting at £36 per year with a biggy in Manchester.