WizzAir Refunds

Options
Looking for advice - Had flights booked with WizzAir for 11th Feb to Poland and back, booked before lockdown. Can't travel as the current restrictions do not allow me to. Wizz are still flying so in their eyes the flight is still available and if I cancel i have to pay their fees which amount to more than the flights. I have complained to them but they cannot refund, even in Wizz credit as its against their policy. I have asked how I can take this further and they have referred me to a EU ombudsman but they won't allow you to fill in a claim form if you are in UK as we are not in EU anymore. Can't get money back through bank as it was paid for in Wizz Credit from a previous flight they cancelled. Did take out the Wizz offered Travel insurance but guess what.... not covered in this case.  Any advise gratefully received. Thanks

Comments

• mattyprice4004
    Options
    Take what further? They’re correct, the flight operated so you’re not entitled to a refund. 
    Government / immigration restrictions aren’t the airline’s responsibility. 
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    When did you book?  
    WizzAir are are technically correct in that they are not responsible for your ability to travel on the operating flights.
  • AndyP_74
    Options
    Booked in Oct after cancelling the plans for Christmas. Maybe I was just being hopeful on a bit of good will. Probably why they still fly so they don't have to give refunds.

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    did you manage to get travel insurance in October to cover travel restrictions?
    Wizzair sell different types of tickets with different flexibility/refund rules. They have a Flex ticket which would have allowed refund to Wizz account but I suspect you chose a cheaper non-refundable ticket instead which means that you chose to carry the risk
  • AndyP_74
    Options
    I took the Wizz travel insurance as they suggested it had COVID cover, it does, but only if you are ill. I didn't take flex on this occasion as I though that if there was a restriction, they wouldn't fly anyway
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think your options are limited.  There was a certain risk and knowledge of the situation with covid when you (re)booked.  If the flight operated then no refund due.  At best a future travel credit but given the departure date is past even that is possibly a closed option.  The "EU ombudsman" is I think just to get you off the phone/online chat.
  • mattyprice4004
    Options
    AndyP_74 said:
    Booked in Oct after cancelling the plans for Christmas. Maybe I was just being hopeful on a bit of good will. Probably why they still fly so they don't have to give refunds.

People still need to get around - there's a lot of reasons people are still flying. 
    Travel for work, visiting people they look after, citizens returning home - the list is pretty extensive. 
    It's better for them to fly and make sure people get to where they need to go than inconvenience those who really do need to be somewhere by cancelling every flight. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback