Worth paying shipping insurance?

in Credit Cards
7 replies 91 views
I’m planning to buy a camera online. is over £1500 I had bought stuff before in this company but bellow £200 and always arrived by DHL. I don’t think they are based in the UK but for some reason the shipping label is from the UK. anyway now because I’m buying a more expensive item I debating in paying the shipping insurance which is quite high about £90. so my question is this really worthy? if for some reason the package get lost  and I don’t pay for the shipping insurance Can I still call my Credit Card company and open a claim?

Replies

• edited 26 February at 10:19AM
    Alter_egoAlter_ego Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 26 February at 10:19AM
    Is it the camera company offering insurance?  I doubt you could get any sense out of DHL as their contract would be with the camera company not you of course.
     For £90 I'd consider collecting it myself rather than having it shipped.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • FarfetchFarfetch Forumite
    2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The shipper can choose to pay insurance on their package, you can't as the receiver. You would have all the usual rights if the package arrives damaged or goes missing - they would claim off their insurance and you would ask for a replacement.

He who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery.

-Harold Wilson

• adamp87adamp87 Forumite
    553 Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Farfetch said:
    The shipper can choose to pay insurance on their package, you can't as the receiver. You would have all the usual rights if the package arrives damaged or goes missing - they would claim off their insurance and you would ask for a replacement.
    I struggled to understand this with Game. They offer insured delivery with PS5’s and such. But I thought exactly the same, well if it’s damaged or doesn’t turn up that’s for Game to sort out not me
    Luno Referral Get £10 worth of Bitcoin for free! - no deposit needed.  
    Download 'Luno' from IOS/Play store - Sign up and enter this code under rewards
    "BPDWESTGRATH" £10 instantly applied 
  • FaceHeadFaceHead Forumite
    336 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Shipping insurance sold by a retailer to the customer is an absolute scam. The retailer has the choice of buying insurance or taking the risk themselves. As a customer you're being offered the opportunity to insure yourself against a risk that isn't yours. 

Pay on a credit card. If anything goes wrong you have the extra cover of the credit card company if the retailer refuses to refund/replace. 
  • edited 26 February at 11:10AM
    FarfetchFarfetch Forumite
    2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 26 February at 11:10AM
    adamp87 said:
    Farfetch said:
    I struggled to understand this with Game. They offer insured delivery with PS5’s and such. But I thought exactly the same, well if it’s damaged or doesn’t turn up that’s for Game to sort out not me
    It's a risk management process for them, they can charge the shipping insurance and not take it out and keep the cash on the assumption 99.9% of packages will be delivered, so they only have to pay out from their cash. If 5% of customers take it, easy money. The liability is on them - if it doesn't arrive or is damaged, they have to replace it so why pay their bills for them?

He who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery.

-Harold Wilson

• MEM62MEM62 Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Like all insurance take it out and if you have an issue it was worthwhile, if you don't then you have incurred a modest expense 'just in case'.  If you find the supplier's insurance to expensive arrange your own.  
  • cymruchriscymruchris Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    What's the name of the company?
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!