Worth paying shipping insurance?

I’m planning to buy a camera online. is over £1500 I had bought stuff before in this company but bellow £200 and always arrived by DHL. I don’t think they are based in the UK but for some reason the shipping label is from the UK. anyway now because I’m buying a more expensive item I debating in paying the shipping insurance which is quite high about £90. so my question is this really worthy? if for some reason the package get lost  and I don’t pay for the shipping insurance Can I still call my Credit Card company and open a claim?

Comments

• Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 February 2021 at 10:19AM
    Is it the camera company offering insurance?  I doubt you could get any sense out of DHL as their contract would be with the camera company not you of course.
     For £90 I'd consider collecting it myself rather than having it shipped.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • The shipper can choose to pay insurance on their package, you can't as the receiver. You would have all the usual rights if the package arrives damaged or goes missing - they would claim off their insurance and you would ask for a replacement.
  • adamp87
    adamp87 Posts: 862 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    The shipper can choose to pay insurance on their package, you can't as the receiver. You would have all the usual rights if the package arrives damaged or goes missing - they would claim off their insurance and you would ask for a replacement.
    I struggled to understand this with Game. They offer insured delivery with PS5’s and such. But I thought exactly the same, well if it’s damaged or doesn’t turn up that’s for Game to sort out not me
  • Shipping insurance sold by a retailer to the customer is an absolute scam. The retailer has the choice of buying insurance or taking the risk themselves. As a customer you're being offered the opportunity to insure yourself against a risk that isn't yours. 

Pay on a credit card. If anything goes wrong you have the extra cover of the credit card company if the retailer refuses to refund/replace. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 26 February 2021 at 11:10AM
    adamp87 said:
    The shipper can choose to pay insurance on their package, you can't as the receiver. You would have all the usual rights if the package arrives damaged or goes missing - they would claim off their insurance and you would ask for a replacement.
    I struggled to understand this with Game. They offer insured delivery with PS5’s and such. But I thought exactly the same, well if it’s damaged or doesn’t turn up that’s for Game to sort out not me
    It's a risk management process for them, they can charge the shipping insurance and not take it out and keep the cash on the assumption 99.9% of packages will be delivered, so they only have to pay out from their cash. If 5% of customers take it, easy money. The liability is on them - if it doesn't arrive or is damaged, they have to replace it so why pay their bills for them?
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Like all insurance take it out and if you have an issue it was worthwhile, if you don't then you have incurred a modest expense 'just in case'.  If you find the supplier's insurance to expensive arrange your own.  
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,167 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    What's the name of the company?
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback