Reoccurring yearly subscription

Hi,

Today I had a payment taken from my PayPal account for a product I purchased one year ago for what I thought was a one year subscription purchase. Turns out it is a reoccurring subscription.

I have contacted the company asking for a refund and they have stated that due time and business fees, along side the fact it seems I managed to agree with PayPal for reoccurring payments they are unable to refund the money.

Am I putting this down to my mistake or is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Well, had you agreed to it or not?
  • I don't think so, pretty sure I only signed up for a year but was a year ago so am unsure.
  • You need to check the terms and conditions of the original purchase, then.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Are they a UK company? 
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Yes U.K. company
  • and what do the terms and conditions say?
  • Laz123
    Laz123 Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I was under the impression the company have to send a reminder even if it's a reoccurring payment, but maybe I'm wrong.
  • Jenni_D
    Jenni_D Posts: 5,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Laz123 said:
    I was under the impression the company have to send a reminder even if it's a reoccurring payment, but maybe I'm wrong.
    I think the latter applies. The only "out" you have is if the original T&Cs did not mention anything about recurring subscriptions, or if they mention that a renewal reminder will be sent. (In which case check that your email address with them is correct, and check that their emails haven't gone into your Spam/Junk folder).
    Jenni x
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If they're a UK company and you entered the contract online, they need to provide certain information in a durable medium, before you are bound by the contract. 

Part of that info includes the subscription billing cycle, the minimum duration of the contract and, if the contract extends automatically, they need to also tell you the conditions for terminating the contract. 
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Durable medium can be email or within a personalized "account" space on their website but doesn't include just a link to their generic terms... obviously many companies do sent long T&Cs and we just delete/file them without reading.

Unless their terms say they will remind you in advance or its a regulated product like Insurance then generally its your responsibility to remember not for them to remind you. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback