Packlink compensation claim

Options
Hi 

I opened a claim on a damaged item with packlink and had an email to say that Hermes had accepted they had damaged the item and it would go to a final claim department.  
I then got an email saying everything was fine they didn't need anything else and I would be refunded my initial postage (which i have) and 30 days later would be sent the £255 for the compensation.  After waiting for around 2 weeks i got another email saying they were not going to send the £255 as there insurers don't believe the internal packaging was good enough.  Can they change their mind after already sending out information saying when these payments would take place and issuing the initial refund?

Has anyone else got the correct escalation route for complaining to packlink as i just seem to only be able to communicate via email with 1 person.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    They can change their mind I'm afraid.  Nothing to stop you escalating things, though.  You might consider small claims action against Packlink (because that's who you have the contract with) but make sure you have as much evidence as you can muster, such as photos of the packaging you included.
  • red_boots2
    Options
    They tried similar with me over something that cost £90. They backed down quickly after a threatened to send an LBA. I was lucky though as the buyer who bought the item from me on Ebay had a Ring Camera Doorbell which showed the driver throwing it over a fence. I wouldn't suggest bluffing them but do you have any photos or videos of the packaging?
  • Craig987654
    Options
    Hi 
    Thanks for the advice.  I sent the pictures to them that I had and after being told it was resolved and being paid out i got rid of the item and packaging so no longer have this.  It was packaged well enough with internal scrunched up paper to protect the item.  It was a coffee machine and quite a solid item in itself and when it has arrived it must have been dropped on the corner as the electrical socket has been damaged where it is snapped but the rest of the item is fine.  It is frustrating as i have asked for an escalation process but it is the same person that responds to my emails advising that they have escalated it and are happy with the decision that they have made! 
  • Spank
    Spank Posts: 1,751 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I wouldn't expect scrunched up paper to be adequate packing for a coffee machine.
  • mattyprice4004
    Options
    Scrunched up paper doesn’t have the resistance under load to protect a coffee machine, I’m not surprised they’ve changed their mind.
    I expect a staff member had a ‘meeting without biscuits’ when this claim was discovered!
  • Craig987654
    Options
    I know scrunched does sound a bit blue peter haha but it is a pretty solid piece of kit and with the box (as per there instructions) not much bigger than the item the paper down the sides stopped the coffee machine from moving around.  Of course if i was a black belt in packaging i may have used more sticky back plastic and toliet roll tubes but never mind
  • Craig987654
    Options
    Also i know there practises are the best but do amazon not send most their items with scrunched up paper or have i described it wrong haha
  • George_Michael
    Options
    Also i know there practises are the best but do amazon not send most their items with scrunched up paper or have i described it wrong haha
    Yes, Amazon often use that sort of packing but they probably do so knowing that if any damage occurs during shipping then they are liable for refunding or replacing and they are willing to take the risk.
  • Craig987654
    Options
    Thanks to everyones help after a patient few months i have been paid out in full through the small claims court process.  Such a straightforward and simple process for anyone needing to do the same
  • lju
    lju Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks to everyones help after a patient few months i have been paid out in full through the small claims court process.  Such a straightforward and simple process for anyone needing to do the same
    Do you have a UK address for Packlink which you used for the Court? I'm going to be doing the same shortly. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback