Tradesman invoicing for waiting time.

Dear All,
I arranged for an electrician to quote me for a job about a month ago and I couldn't let him in to the house as I was held up in traffic and he's now charged me for keeping him waiting (over an hour). I spoke to him on the phone that day to apologize for not getting back in time.
I just received his invoice this morning and not sure if I should pay. I'm a bit worried as he said he will charge interest if it's not paid. Can anyone offer any advice on where I stand legally?
Thanks in advance
Gill

Comments

• Not a good way to sell himself but he could have been earning elsewhere . if the visit was arranged it was your responsibility to be there at the correct time , On the other thought if you were there he quoted you thanked him for his time and you went with another spark . He couldn't bill you for that . Sounds like a bully tactic . Wish I could charge customers for the miles and waiting around I have done in the past . Keep us up to date what your plans are on this . I have no experienced advice but personally I would f him off or offer him £20 for his fuel . BTW was it much he invoiced ? Just wondering how much a sparky doing nothing thinks they're worth .
  • Mickey666
    Mickey666 Posts: 2,834 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Would he have invoiced you for his time if you had let him in?  Of course not.  Quoting for work is all part of the job and all tradesmen treat this time as an overhead to be recovered within their normal hourly rate, just like the costs for their cars, tools insurances etc.

It's unfortunate he was left waiting an hour but these things happen.  I wonder how many times he has turned up late for a job when the householder had taken time off work specifically to let him in - would he expect to be charged for that time?  Of course not.  He's trying it on and he knows it.  If there's no contract in place with clear terms about charging for waiting time then he hasn't got a leg to stand on.

If he continues to hassle for payment, I'd tell him that if I hear from him again I'll be telling my friends and they'll all be calling him out to quote for work that they have no intention commissioning, just to waste his time!
  • I dont understand, were you late when he came to quote or when he came to do the job?
  • OP said he was only coming to do a quote.
    He should've left if he didn't want to hang around.
    Legally, I don't think anyone can charge for things you haven't agreed to pay for. You wouldn't pay for the sweets that the waiter put on the tray with the restaurant bill;, same logic.
    Forget the whole thing, try not to worry, chances are you'll hear no more about it.
  • binao
    binao Posts: 666 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    E201 said:
    Dear All,
    I arranged for an electrician to quote me for a job about a month ago and I couldn't let him in to the house as I was held up in traffic and he's now charged me for keeping him waiting (over an hour). I spoke to him on the phone that day to apologise for not getting back in time. I just received his invoice this morning and not sure if I should pay. I'm a bit worried as he said he will charge interest if it's not paid. Can anyone offer any advice on where I stand legally?
    Thanks in advance
    Gill
    So had he left by the time you got home?

"(over an hour)". How late were you? Was it all due to traffic?

Not sure we're  hearing all the story.

If it's  not over the top, pay up, or you could be labled "unreliable"

I must admit I didn't invoice, just another name on the x list.

Good luck in your choices. :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure