New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Slanted pipe

22 replies 507 views
Can you please tell me if a plumber installed a radiator correctly? It is a double radiator and he used an old pipe which was used for a single one.  So it is slanted now. Another plumber said it had to be blended. Who is right? Also is it better to use new valves when replacing 20 years old radiators?Many thanks.

Replies

• alice60alice60 Forumite
    18 posts
    10 Posts
    alice60 said:
    Can you please tell me if a plumber installed a radiator correctly? It is a double radiator and he used an old pipe which was used for a single one before.  So it is slanted now - the first pct.. Another plumber said it had to be bended. Who is right? Also is it better to use new valves when replacing 20 years old radiators?Many thanks.
    sorry. I didn't know how to edit my post.
  • TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    10.4K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't see any problem with the pipework in either photo, but it would have made sense to use new valves.  They aren't expensive.
    18 posts
    10 Posts
    SI posted another pct as the first one may be not clear. So it can be slanted. 
  • FreeBearFreeBear Forumite
    5.9K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    TELLIT01 said: it would have made sense to use new valves.  They aren't expensive.
    If you are buying radiators from Screwfix, they invariably come with a "free" set of valves (lockshield & TRV).
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    18 posts
    10 Posts
    I know. I bought it there. But a plumber didn't use it. Any reasons? I gave them to a plumber for free. 
  • KeithSussexKeithSussex Forumite
    72 posts
    10 Posts Photogenic
    Does look cosmetically a little rough but if the radiator fitter was asked just to exchange the radiator then that is what you can get.
    If its leaking water, it needs attention.

Everyone will have opinions. The pipes could have been altered, the left hand valve could have been exchanged (right hand side valve is worth keeping). Then the job turns into a radiator exchange with extra's ££'s.

Seen worse radiator exchanges  :open_mouth:

18 posts
    10 Posts
    I am wondering if a size of the installed radiator is correct.
  • FreeBearFreeBear Forumite
    5.9K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    alice60 said: I know. I bought it there. But a plumber didn't use it. Any reasons? I gave them to a plumber for free. 
    Fitted a (Screwfix supplied) radiator with a set of "free" valves last year - Had a dickens of a job to get one of the tails to seal where it screwed in to the radiator. Ended up having to use a spare from the toolbox. It might have just been one fitting that slipped through the quality control from Drayton (the manufacturer of the valves), or crappy cheap fittings in general.
    Could be, your plumber experienced the same problem, or he couldn't be bothered to take the old ones off the pipe.

A little dog-leg in the pipe coming up from the floor would have been preferable to just bending the pipe like he has - Doesn't sit right in my opinion, but then, a dog-leg isn't to everyone's taste either.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • KeithSussexKeithSussex Forumite
    72 posts
    10 Posts Photogenic
    New photos  <3
    Its near on impossible to set (bend) those short sections of ancient pipe sticking out of the floor. The new radiator is in metric size, replacing older imperial size radiators can be a challenge to get exact same length although a limited amount of imperial radiators are still manufactured.
    The radiator fitter (hopefully a heating installer) will know what can go wrong when pulling ancient pipes around.  It all could have been done much neater  <3
  • GrenageGrenage Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't replace a valve that works, it's way more work than is necessary.  Adjusting the feed/returns and swapping the valves would have given you a much higher bill.

It looks alright.