We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Water rates - paying on 2 properties

I completed on my new property last week.
The tenancy on the property i was renting runs until 4th April unless they find a tenant sooner.
I phoned Thames Water yesterday to register my new property but they're saying i can't register at my new address until I've moved out of rental property.
I tried to explain that I'm the legal tenant until april but this means i can't register where im now living 
Any ideas how i sort this?  Do i tell them I've moved out even though my tenancy is still running?
Im not having any issues with council tax as its 2 different authorities so im registered at both addresses but can't seem to sort out the water.

Comments

  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Try again and hope that you speak to somebody less stupid/lazy this time?
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 4,177 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    will it let you do it online and bypass the human element?
  • Sotts
    Sotts Posts: 254 Forumite
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    flashg67 said:
    will it let you do it online and bypass the human element?
    Unfortunately not.  That was the first thing I tried but because I don't have a moving out date, it keeps sending me back to talk to a person.   The management company for the property I was renting has not me not to change my name on any of the bills whilst I am the legal tenant.  But Thames Water clearly don't want my money
  • Sotts said:
    I completed on my new property last week.
    The tenancy on the property i was renting runs until 4th April unless they find a tenant sooner.
    I phoned Thames Water yesterday to register my new property but they're saying i can't register at my new address until I've moved out of rental property.
    I tried to explain that I'm the legal tenant until april but this means i can't register where im now living 
    Any ideas how i sort this?  Do i tell them I've moved out even though my tenancy is still running?
    So are they saying they are happy for you to have free water at your new property?
    Get this confirmed (letter/email from them) and.... have a bath!
  • Sorry to read this, I contacted the water board here yesterday as I'm leaving my rented property too.  Couldn't remember my password and had to set up a new one - when I got in 'they are fixing my account' and it could take two weeks.  Luckily I have just over two weeks before I leave. 
    £216 saved 24 October 2014
  • Mickey666
    Mickey666 Posts: 2,834 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Like nobody ever had two properties on which to pay the bills. 
    I'd ask to speak to whoever is looking after their collective brain cell in the hope of having a sensible converation.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.