We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Half share tied up in divorce
Dramalamma
Posts: 4 Newbie
My ex husband owns the house in live in.
I pay the mortgage
I pay the mortgage
And I am entitled to half the profits on completion of a sale.
My partner and I are looking to buy it from him. But I need the money from my share of the profits to use as a deposit.
1. How do I use the 130+ as a deposit if the house is in his name until it's sold? Will I get a mortgage based on the fact the sale we get me the deposit?
2. I have never owned the house or been on any mortgages etc. Will me and my partner be entitled to first time buyer mortgages.
3. My partner has money saved in first time buyer accounts will be still be entitled to the incentment when purchasing this house.
My partner and I are looking to buy it from him. But I need the money from my share of the profits to use as a deposit.
1. How do I use the 130+ as a deposit if the house is in his name until it's sold? Will I get a mortgage based on the fact the sale we get me the deposit?
2. I have never owned the house or been on any mortgages etc. Will me and my partner be entitled to first time buyer mortgages.
3. My partner has money saved in first time buyer accounts will be still be entitled to the incentment when purchasing this house.
0
Comments
-
I am worried that I won't be able to use my share to purchase the house we live it. Even though the rule is I can buy it him out. He isn't the kind of man to do what's best for his children. He would rather cause me trouble even if it is detrimental to the children well being.0
-
What I think you are saying is that you and your husband had a house together. The relationship has ended and he has left but you are living there.
You need legal advice but the starting point is you own the house 50-50. This could change if children are involved. This could change if you divorce him and a divorce settlement is/was imposed.
If you want to put the house in your sole name then you need to get a mortgage for 50% of the house value and pay that money to your husband - assuming he agrees - and get his name removed from the deeds.
Go and see a solicitor.0 -
I read it as the house is in the husbands name only. Op does not own half the house but has a 50% beneficial interest in it which will be realised when the house is sold. Until that happens op does not have a deposit to get a mortgage.0
-
Its called a concessionary mortgage, they are expensive and few and far between0
-
The OP's ex husband owns the house in which she, (her children from ex husband?) and her current partner live.
She is currently paying the mortgage on the property (although presumably it is still in the ex-husband's name).
As the result of the divorce settlement (?), she is entitled to half of any proceeds of sale after the repayment of the mortgage.
She and her current partner would like to buy the house from the ex husband.
Suppose the house is valued at £100,000 and the outstanding mortgage is £50,000.
She and the partner need to raise a mortgage of £75,000 to buy out the ex husband?0 -
What arrangement did you come to you when you divorced? The financial consent order would have dealt with the split of assets.0
-
Yes exactly this - although it is not clear if the divorce has or has not gone through (tied up in divorce?)0
-
Update.
Married 2010.
Three kidsPrucahsed house in 2011. Mortgage only in his name as he said we would get a better deal if we did that. Refused to spend money to have me put on deeds.
2019 fincial settlement agreed at court.
Me and kids remain here. As long as I pay the mortgage. Upon sale, I get the money back that I have paid towards the mortgage (less the interest part) and then half the equity.
That's all fine. Land registry was done so he isn't able to sell without my consent etc etc. That's all clear.
But in October I will have had my partner living here a year and will have to sell or buy it from him.
How do I get a mortgage if the deposit I would use is inside the house that I am buying.
Also am I still a first time buyer. Is my partner still a first time buyer... Neither of us have owned a property or had a mortgage.
I am entitled to half which is over £100,000 and will make buying the property affordable. But how can I get a mortgage if I don't have the money yet. I only get the money on completion.
Sorry I wasn't clear. It's my money but not technically my property.0 -
So you need a concessionary mortgage where by the deposit is on paper equity. Expensive and hard to come by. Youll pay 4.5% at least at the momentDramalamma said:Update.
Married 2010.
Three kidsPrucahsed house in 2011. Mortgage only in his name as he said we would get a better deal if we did that. Refused to spend money to have me put on deeds.
2019 fincial settlement agreed at court.
Me and kids remain here. As long as I pay the mortgage. Upon sale, I get the money back that I have paid towards the mortgage (less the interest part) and then half the equity.
That's all fine. Land registry was done so he isn't able to sell without my consent etc etc. That's all clear.
But in October I will have had my partner living here a year and will have to sell or buy it from him.
How do I get a mortgage if the deposit I would use is inside the house that I am buying.
Also am I still a first time buyer. Is my partner still a first time buyer... Neither of us have owned a property or had a mortgage.
I am entitled to half which is over £100,000 and will make buying the property affordable. But how can I get a mortgage if I don't have the money yet. I only get the money on completion.
Sorry I wasn't clear. It's my money but not technically my property.0 -
The issue is that you can’t use the equity in a property to buy the same property. If the agreed path is that he moves out and you move in then you would need to remortgage to buy him out. That’s as my understanding anyway.0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

