Default added to report after 5 and half years.

Options
Got myself a bit confused with this so I'll try explain best I can for now.

Had a loan in 2015 (not for a huge amount or anything). I believe I paid the first instalment back then Defaulted on this due to life circumstances (long story etc) and it was never added to any of  my credit files (Experian, Equifax and TransUnion) as far I know or could see from looking at the reports. I had completely forgotten about it over the years and only recently when checking an old e-mail address did I notice the e-mails in the junk folder. 
As of the 1st Feb this year, the company has added a default to my file. This hasn't showed up on Equifax or Experian as of yet but upon checking on CreditKarma I can now see the default has appeared on TransUnions report.

Last updated: 1st Feb 2021
Start date: 29 May 2015
Date of default: 21 July 2016

I called them as I originally thought the debt was statutory barred (I live in Scotland) however the agent on the phone said because I had paid one instalment this was not the case. Then I went through my reports and saved copies of my reports from through the years and not once on any of them has the account itself been reported on my file until this default was added at the start of Feb this year.  I then called them back and they said it was a continuation of a previous default however I never let on that this had never been recorded.

Is there anything I can do about this?  Thanks.

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Is there anything I can do about this?  Thanks.

Rather than worry about the default. Concern yourself with the fact that recovery action may well follow. 
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Never accept what you are told on the phone by an "agent", it could be right, but it could also be wrong.
    The default date seems appropriate, however when did you last make payment to this account ?

The limitation period in Scotland is 5 years, and would start again immediately after your last payment.
    Nothing you have done thus far has altered that, despite what the "agent" said.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • JessePinkman26
    Options
    Never accept what you are told on the phone by an "agent", it could be right, but it could also be wrong.
    The default date seems appropriate, however when did you last make payment to this account ?

The limitation period in Scotland is 5 years, and would start again immediately after your last payment.
    Nothing you have done thus far has altered that, despite what the "agent" said.
    Truth be told I have no idea, can't even check previous bank statements as was so long ago.

Should I ask them to send me all the details of the loan and any payments made and dates?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback