We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Mixing Cuprinol Garden shades?

twopenny
twopenny Posts: 5,517 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
Has anyone mixed these paints please?
They are water based so it seems reasonable. I've seen posts about 'I'm going to mix them' but no one comes back to say that it was sucessful. I want to mix Country Cream which is quite yellow with Daisy White to get a very pale version. The house is magnolia which looks almost off white and the CCream against it looks very yellow.
Thanks

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

Comments

• Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Haven't done it, but can't see why it wouldn't work. It's unlikely you're going to get a chemical reaction between the two that turns the resulting paint purple.  Try with a small amount of each first. You might want to play about wih the mix, it might not be 50/50 that works best.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• twopenny
    Thanks Slinky. Experience with emulsion is that you need to mix slowly. You need more of one than the other and not like mixing picture paints.
    I was trying to check if it was ok because they aren't cheap and I'll end up with a lot left over.
    But I bought a different make (Johnsons) and it's streaky and goes on thin. The unused pot is still in the shed. The Cuprinol has good even coverage and a good finish.

• maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    I've done this, I couldn't find a colour I liked so bought a deepish blue and added to a much lighter colour to get the blue/grey I was after. Because I used so little of the darker colour I still have about 80% of the tin 2 years later.
  • twopenny
    Thank you Maisiecat.
    You could use the left over to paint some daisies on something ;) I used some to paint a decrepit coffee table and painted rings of daisies on it. Looks so nice I didn't want to put it out in this weather and it fits perfectly into the living room.

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Just be sure you mix enough to finish the job - because you'll never get that exact colour again ! 
  • twopenny
    Yes Silvertabby. Finding something to keep the surplus in will also be a challenge.
    With the house move of course all saved empty paint pots went to the skip along with all the useful bits of wood. Easier to get the bits of wood.
    And also where you need your social life where you can put your request out and someone always has spare bits and bobs they'll share.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport