NatWest Visa Card and joint account - change to single Mastercard. 2 cards 1 account still a thing?

Options
My partner and I have been NatWest customers for many decades.
We have always had a joint account, and up to now have had a credit card each on the same credit card account (not unusual AFAIK). I am the primary account holder.
A letter arrived today saying that the card was being switched from Visa to Mastercard and would now be a single card. I assume that means that my partner will not get a new card.
This makes me wonder if two cards on one account is still a thing, or if it is being phased out. If so, why?
I assume that my partner can apply for a new card but this is all an additional pain.
We spend using credit cards and pay off in full each month. Two cards one account consolidates the statements.
A right royal pain anyway as the card number will change so we will have to go through all the places where we have a monthly/annual payment against the credit card and change the details.
Makes me inclined to just tell them to forget it as they are taking away the main benefit.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 16 February 2021 at 4:46PM
    Options
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    and up to now have had a credit card each on the same credit card account (not unusual AFAIK). I am the primary account holder.
    If it is a joint account there is no "primary account holder" it is joint and if this is the set up you have then it would be exceptionally unusual, I've never heard of it in all my years of working in financial services but that isnt to say some legacy product may still be out there.

Almost all, if not all, credit cards are issued to a single account holder who is the primary cardholder. They can add secondary cardholders to their account but the account remains only in their name and they are liable for all the spending on the card.

For most credit card companies you dont really "apply" for a secondary cardholder, its more a formality of asking, though appreciate some do state you are applying. Some do very basic ID checks but many dont (including some that claim they do).

It may be worth asking Natwest how they are dealing with continuous payment authorities and if they are managing the migration themselves. I don't think the system typically supports transfers between networks but it may have moved on since last time I had the joys of dealing with Card Updater
  • LittleGreyCatUK
    LittleGreyCatUK Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 February 2021 at 6:33PM
    Options
    I am primary account holder on the credit card, which is separate from the bank account.
    Most credit cards in the past allowed an additional card holder, as discussed above.
    The letter from NatWest appears to say that they no longer offer a Dual Account Holder card and there will be only one card in the future.
    NatWest also say that the user will have to update any accounts which use the Credit Card as the number will have changed.
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The letter from NatWest appears to say that they no longer offer a Dual Account Holder card and there will be only one card in the future.
    NatWest also say that the user will have to update any accounts which use the Credit Card as the number will have changed.
    You are best speaking to Natwest but if I understand the situation this is their old product where you got a visa card and a mastercard on one account for each cardholder. The "one card" in the future means you would each be able to have a single mastercard rather than two cards each (mastercard and visa) not that secondary cardholders cannot be added.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback