Dormant Debt

Hi
I'm hoping for some advice on a situation I found on my credit report recently.

The scenario is that I got landed with some debt in 2009, at that time I was unable to service it at all. I applied for bankruptcy but was told that my situation didn't warrant it. To be clear I had been in a terrible accident that prevented me from working for the best part of 10 years, I was on benefits and the advice was "they can't take blood from a stone, it'll go away after 6 years".

Having reviewed my credit file recently I see that one company has not applied a missed payment for 10 years, yet in December 2020 and January 2021 they registered a missed payment, nothing for February!

Is that right, can they do that? It has made my credit score plummet :(

Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 February 2021 at 7:43PM
    Don't worry about your plummeting credit score. They all plummet in February. It's a depressing month.

If you feel that the account should have been defaulted earlier, request they amend it.

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 15 February 2021 at 7:49PM
    What exactly does the entry say ?

In 2020, there was a change to the guidance on how certain accounts are reported on your credit file.

This led to the "re-emergence" of certain long forgotten dormant accounts, on some credit files.

I had an old long closed Halifax current account I had with my ex wife, suddenly re-appear on my credit report after 10 years, I made a complaint and the information was removed, I would suggest you do the same.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Thanks for the responses and sorry for the delayed reply.

I took sourcrates advice and spoke to the bank in the days following the original post. They got back to me today, they've upheld my complaint and put a correction on my file. I'm just waiting to see that go live.

Thanks again 👍😊
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure