D0 M1 Tax Code - What Is M1?

Options
2»

Comments

• AnnoyedGuy
    Options
    molerat said:
    Does it give your tax code on leaving the employment ?

It does not, no... but just dug up an old pay check and it was previously: 1250L
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,035 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Looks like they have fouled up moving the tax code across, something they are quite good at lately.  Happened to my granddaughter, looking forward to her £160 back now they have sorted it, quite a large amount to a student part time worker.
  • AnnoyedGuy
    AnnoyedGuy Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 February 2021 at 1:33PM
    Options
    molerat said:
    Looks like they have fouled up moving the tax code across, something they are quite good at lately.  Happened to my granddaughter, looking forward to her £160 back now they have sorted it, quite a large amount to a student part time worker.
    Got it changed to 0T which is now way more favourable!  Thanks for the help.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 February 2021 at 3:08PM
    Options
    molerat said:
    It is certainly more favourable but still wrong if you have only one job. You will now pay tax at 20% on the first 37500 and 40% thereafter - no personal allowances. What was the reasoning behind this code?

What about next year?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,035 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Did you query you have no tax allowance ?
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options
    Maybe ANI > £125k?
  • AnnoyedGuy
    AnnoyedGuy Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 February 2021 at 7:19PM
    Options
     purdyoaten2 said:
    molerat said:
    It is certainly more favourable but still wrong if you have only one job. You will now pay tax at 20% on the first 37500 and 40% thereafter - no personal allowances. What was the reasoning behind this code?

What about next year?
    Unfortunately I didn't query that, but assumed this applied:
    You can also see the rates and bands without the Personal Allowance. You do not get a Personal Allowance on taxable income over £125,000.

They said, it'll be relooked at on the 5th of April. Keen to get the rebate too as I've been paying more than I should have since last July. 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
     purdyoaten2 said:
    molerat said:

What about next year?
    Unfortunately I didn't query that, but assumed this applied:
    You can also see the rates and bands without the Personal Allowance. You do not get a Personal Allowance on taxable income over £125,000.

They said, it'll be relooked at on the 5th of April. Keen to get the rebate too as I've been paying more than I should have since last July. 
    See Dazed’s last comment which hit the nail on the head. 0T (zero T) would appear to the the correct code going forward.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback