Hotel Changed / Rebooking Incentive Withdrawn

Cudly1
Cudly1 Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 23 February 2021 at 2:15PM in Coronavirus travel help & info

Holiday with wider family and friends (booked through Tui and other holiday companies) was cancelled due to pandemic 2020. Tui offered  me a c20% 're-booking incentive' so I rebooked similar dates 2021.

I made the last payment over the phone with customer services 10 days ago, within timescale some 10 months later.

Two days later, when checking my account, I noticed the hotel had been unilaterally changed to, what I perceive to be, a new Tui hotel. I rang customer services to find out why and was advised the original hotel would now not open on our holiday date but if the new hotel was not suitable I could have a refund.  

After checking with other members of our party we contacted the original hotel who advised they would be open and we could book through another ‘partner’.

On contacting customer services again, they sent me an email advising that:

a)      the hotel  originally booked was not in this year’s  brochure and that it is no longer available,

b)      if I cancelled, I could request a refund equivalent to monies paid only;  I would  no longer be entitled to the re-booking incentive,

c)       if I postponed, the original re-booking incentive would be withdrawn and I would get a re-booking incentive of 10% of monies paid.

If I re-book the original hotel but with another holiday company it will cost me equivalent to my monies paid plus an additional sum broadly equivalent to the original ‘re-booking incentive’.

Is it fair that Tui can retain and use my monies for 12 months, unilaterally make an unsuitable change to our holiday and withdraw the original booking incentive?

Comments

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure