28 day survivorship clause in wills

Options
2»

Comments

• Downthedrain
    Options
    I can see how that would work, but it would rely on the beneficiaries having a DOV after the second death. I was thinking along the lines of what could be done within the structure of a will prior to death to be more IHT efficient. In reply to getmore4less - in thinking this through more I realise that my example doesn't hold up both ways and I didn't consider the unused NRB if the first to die was the £100K spouse.
    I 'm still undecided about  the survivorship condition being present. My Wife and I now have two wills drafted, one with and one without. Our solicitor says it has to be our decision which to choose and she will not make the decision for us. Either way has its own disadvantages, the main one being the round-tripping via the second estate were we to die in quick succession without the condition being present, so instead of probate being processed in parallel, it looks like it would happen in series and double the time to process.

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    They can still be processed concurrently as HMRC allow for estimates where there may be some unknown final values.

The situation where the IHT benefit comes in is quite rare  but handy if needed..

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback