Furloughed on 20% told to work full time for notice period

themummymonster
themummymonster Posts: 7
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 8 February 2021 at 5:02PM in Redundancy & redundancy planning
Hi all,
I have been on furlough since April last year. My employer has regularly tried to 'encourage me' to complete work in my own time, outside my paid 20% in order to get the work completed.
I have recently been told, without consultation or any real explanation beyond 'cost saving' that I am to be made redundant at the end of March. This wasn't a complete surprise and I expected that I would carry on at 20% until this date. 
I have now been told that my employer can't claim the furlough support for my notice period and I must therefore choose to work part or full time for a pro-rata wage.
Having looked at the advice from HMRC, I think that my redundancy period should be paid at my full salary (prior to furlough) and it isn't a question whether I work part or full time.
Starting to feel that I am being mislead and would appreciate any help/foresight.

Comments

• Well the big red flag in your post is that your employer tried to get you to work while on furlough, which is illegal. If there's evidence that others on furlough did work and you didn't and you were the one made redundant over your colleagues that did work while on furlough, then that is clear grounds for unfair dismissal. I would message your colleagues and see if they've been doing work and save all correspondence with them. If they have been and you refused to, your boss is on shaky grounds.
  • Hi all,
    I have been on furlough since April last year. My employer has regularly tried to 'encourage me' to complete work in my own time, outside my paid 20% in order to get the work completed.
    I have recently been told, without consultation or any real explanation beyond 'cost saving' that I am to be made redundant at the end of March. This wasn't a complete surprise and I expected that I would carry on at 20% until this date. 
    I have now been told that my employer can't claim the furlough support for my notice period and I must therefore choose to work part or full time for a pro-rata wage.
    Having looked at the advice from HMRC, I think that my redundancy period should be paid at my full salary (prior to furlough) and it isn't a question whether I work part or full time.
    Starting to feel that I am being mislead and would appreciate any help/foresight.

Can you clarify?
    You were on furlough at 80% of pay and then paid 100% for the 20% of your contracted time where you were asked to work?
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Hi all,

I read that as saying because we can't claim furlough  you are coming off and going back to full time working and that should be full pay

The option of part time for less pay is an additional option..

• Hi all,
    If you are on furlough: you are not allowed to be doing any work at that time/part of the week when you are on furlough.
    During your redundancy period you will no longer be on furlough, therefore you should be working full time (and being paid full time by the company). Or part time, and paid pro rata accordingly.
    If you choose to work part time during your redundancy period, why should you be paid for more hours than you actually work?
    I started out with nothing and I still got most of it left. Tom Waits
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure