New to redundancy

Hi all,
I just got informed yesterday that the retail shop I work in will be closing next month, I may be offered a role in another store but due to not driving and relying on public transport etc it isnt feasible for me as you have to be fully flexible in retail.
So can anyone suggest any links to read etc about what I can expect to happen?
If it helps or changes anything this is in Northern Ireland.

Thanks
mortui non mordent

Comments

• Have you had a look on the labour relations agency website Lra.org.uk  
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,850
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Your employer sounds to be too small to have to conduct consultations, so I expect their next step will be to offer details of any alternative role or confirm that they can't offer any alternative role and that they do want to make you redundant. They should give you details of what you might receive as redundancy pay. They will also need to pay you for any notice period that they don't want you to work and for accrued holiday pay. 

I would advise you not to dismiss any alternative role out of hand. I would suggest that you tell the employer immediately that you are interested in finding out about any alternative roles they can offer. You are not committing to take the job if you just ask for details about it. It may be feasible, and if it is not, then you have lost nothing.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Dingle81
    Dingle81 Posts: 9
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Sometimes they set a 'if within x miles of your current location and a suitable role is offered you must accept' however i'm not sure if this is the case here or is even legal, but it certainly was a way I saw a few redundancy payments being dodged by the company.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Dingle81 said:
    Sometimes they set a 'if within x miles of your current location and a suitable role is offered you must accept' however i'm not sure if this is the case here or is even legal, but it certainly was a way I saw a few redundancy payments being dodged by the company.
    Legal as it's normally stated in the contract of employment which the employee signed , i.e. agreed to. 
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    For a suitable alternative  reasonable in terms of distance an time cost etc will vary  on an individual case.
    Often a catch all is in place  but people may fall outside that,  eg a new location may be only a few miles which is reasonable but if no public transport that may make it not reasonable for some..

Even if written into the contract it still has to be reasonable.
    A finance director on £100k  would have a wider scope than the min wage part time cleaner.

For this case store in another town with a relatively frequent bus service say under 1hr that operates working hours might be considered reasonable.
    if there is a work requirement to come in on short notice say 30mins then it is no longer reasonable if the busses are every 30mins

• TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,198
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    but if no public transport that may make it not reasonable for some..

Employers cannot cater for employees personal circumstances. Employees can live in the remotest of places. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback