Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Use angle grinder as a sander

I've just inherited my late father's power tools. What i need to do is sand off a lot of old paint and smooth surfaces of a curtain rail fitting which has come off the wall. Sadly the power tools don't have a sander, but I do have an angle grinder which I believe can be used as a sander. I have a Dewalt DCG413N cordless angle grinder.  Do I need to buy an adapter and remove the guard, or can I just use a flap disc?

Replies

• FreeBearFreeBear Forumite
    6.5K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    You must use a backing disc and abrasive pads rated for the speed of an angle grinder (small ones, usually 13,000RPM). If you don't, they can (and will) explode and send fragments everywhere. You'll also find it a very, very aggressive way of sanding.
    You could use a flap disc (safer), but even the fine grits can be way too aggressive for delicate work. A wire wheel might be a better option.

Do NOT use a grinder without the guard attached, and make sure you have eye protection and wear some stout leather gloves.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • sevenhillssevenhills Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kido250 said:
    I've just inherited my late father's power tools. What i need to do is sand off a lot of old paint and smooth surfaces of a curtain rail fitting which has come off the wall. Sadly the power tools don't have a sander, but I do have an angle grinder which I believe can be used as a sander.
    I had an accident with an agle grinder, they are very powerful, go carefull

• Use hook and loop plate on a twist drill?
    Your proposal sounds very dangerous
  • GDB2222GDB2222 Forumite
    19.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you had inherited a JCB, would you use it to plant your spring bulbs? :) 

Sorry if that sounds sarcastic rather than facetious, but an angle grinder is not the right tool for the job, and you’ll be in danger of losing your fingers or eyesight. As well as damaging the curtain fitting.

Perhaps you could post a picture of the item, but my first thought is just to use sandpaper and do it by hand. At least you won’t maim yourself.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • GDB2222GDB2222 Forumite
    19.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, and did you inherit a vice? Or, how are you going to hold this fitting whilst you work on it?
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • ApodemusApodemus Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your previous thread suggested that the tools included an impact driver and a drill.  Either of these with an appropriate sanding disc or flappy wheel would be a better option than the angle grinder.
  • grumblergrumbler Forumite
    54.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If the fittings are metal, then a wire brush is a better tool for this job and there are such brushes specially for angle grinders.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse. :(

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
  • couriervanmancouriervanman Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Kido250 said:
    I've just inherited my late father's power tools. What i need to do is sand off a lot of old paint and smooth surfaces of a curtain rail fitting which has come off the wall. Sadly the power tools don't have a sander, but I do have an angle grinder which I believe can be used as a sander.
    I had an accident with an agle grinder, they are very powerful, go carefull

Same here......nearly took a finger off, as already mentioned the flap discs are great for taking paint off concrete and metal but to harsh for wood
  • Mickey666Mickey666 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    If the OP was dealing with a dozen or so curtain rails then it would seem reasonable to look for some sort of power tool to help with the job . . . but ONE curtain rail?  Or more accurately ONE "curtain rail fitting" according to the OP.  Really?

Firstly, I agree with the above posts - an angle grinder is not the tool for this job.  Far too powerful and uncontrollable for such a job and, with respect, the OP seems unused to such tools so it's an accident waiting to happen.

Secondly, it's a "curtain rail fitting" for goodness sake - how big a job can it be to do by hand?  Not everything needs a powertool.  A few sheets of different grades of sandpaper and a little bit of 'elbow grease' and I'd guess the job would be done within 20 minutes.  Unless it's been painted with some sort of rock-hard industrial wonder-material that will resist anything except an aggressive angle-grinder ;)