PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Changing the day I pay rent.

Options
Hello, my tenancy is up in two months and my landlord forgot to serve me notice. I'm aware that the tenancy will turn into a periodic rolling tenancy which is fine because I am in the process of buying a house that will hopefully be completed in the next 3-4 months.
My landlords are selling the cottage I am in now and the buyer is happy to continue my tenancy until I give notice hopefully in 2 months.
My problem is that the date I pay rent is not the same as the date the tenancy starts and ends. For example I pay rent on the 1st but the tennanct start date was the 13th.
When I first started living there I payed around 2 weeks rent to bring me up to the 1st and then payed a months from the 1st have been paying each month on the first since. This is with the idea that when I get to the last month I will pay 2 weeks to take me up to the 15th.
My New landlord wishes to change the date I pay rent to the 15th so it all lines up. In theory I have no problem with this but in practise im wary because I don't want to sign anything and accidently start a new contract.
Are there any problems any one here can see with me agreeing to change the date I pay rent? 

Comments

• dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 January 2021 at 7:40PM
    Options
    Has your new landlord got a BTL mortgage or a residential mortgage ?
    Has he/she carried out an EICR GSC Pat testing and legionnaires checks.
    Does the property have a current EPC ?
    https://www.gov.uk/buy-sell-your-home/energy-performance-certificates
    Your old landlord should pass the deposit into the new landlord and you should also get the new LL details.
  • Geraldchairplant
    Options
    dimbo61 said:
    Has your new landlord got a BTL mortgage or a residential mortgage ?
    Has he/she carried out an EICR GSC Pat testing and legionnaires checks.
    Does the property have a current EPC ?
    https://www.gov.uk/buy-sell-your-home/energy-performance-certificates
    Your old landlord should pass the deposit into the new landlord and you should also get the new LL details.

I have literally no idea? Is there a way to find that out? Is that something I can influence?
  • greatcrested
    greatcrested Posts: 5,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 31 January 2021 at 8:17PM
    Options
    Provided whatever you sign is simply an agreement for a change in rent payment date, that will not affect the tenancy itself.
    There again, it seems unnecessary. It's all worked well so far so why change things just for a few months.
    Just remember to
    * serve proper notice, which depends if you have a CPT or SPT and
    * calculate the daily rent in the final month, and pay for the appropriate number of days.
    dimbo61's questions above are relevant to tenancies in general, not to your specific question. One could also ask if the new landlord complied with the Landlord & Tenant Act 1985 S3  in formally notifying you of the change of landlord.

Post 4: Ending/renewing an AST: what happens when a fixed term ends? How can a LL or tenant end a tenancy? What is a periodic tenancy?

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback