Forum Home» In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving

What to use to blank out conservatory roof clear glazing

New Post Advanced Search

What to use to blank out conservatory roof clear glazing

16 replies 231 views
Hi all I am looking at blanking / blocking out the top glazed windows on conservatory roof as I am looking at insulating the conservatory roof as it’s clear and I don’t want the insulation to be seen from the top. 
Any ideas ?

Replies

• Jeepers_CreepersJeepers_Creepers Forumite
    3.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    When you look at the roof from the outside, what does it look like? If it's polycarb, then it'll be an opaque 'silvery' colour? If it's clear glass, it'll look like, um, clear glass - but still shiny and silvery?

In which case if you choose rigid insulating board - foam with foil either side - as your insulating material, I reckon it'll look pretty much unchanged from the outside. The foil finish will also reflect most of the heat, so you don't get a huge rise in temp between the glazing and the insulation.

You aren't planning to cover the outside at some point, say with lightweight plastic tile-shaped panels?

• quattrosquattros Forumite
    118 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    When you look at the roof from the outside, what does it look like? If it's polycarb, then it'll be an opaque 'silvery' colour? If it's clear glass, it'll look like, um, clear glass - but still shiny and silvery?

In which case if you choose rigid insulating board - foam with foil either side - as your insulating material, I reckon it'll look pretty much unchanged from the outside. The foil finish will also reflect most of the heat, so you don't get a huge rise in temp between the glazing and the insulation.

You aren't planning to cover the outside at some point, say with lightweight plastic tile-shaped panels?

From the outside it is clear glass the material is from looks of it double glazed roof.

as it’s pitched roof from the bedroom would be able to see what’s been put on the inside.

I am looking at the foil insulation, apparently reading somewhere people don’t recommend the PIR stuff like kingspan or Quinn etc , but think that might be for Poly carb as it needs to breathe otherwise it will warp? But mine is Glass so.

Not planning to do anything on the outside , seen the Proper tiled roof conservatory which do look very nice but is expensive , they take the whole roof off and make a construction like a regular roof. 

• Jeepers_CreepersJeepers_Creepers Forumite
    3.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You could apply an opaque film to the outside - eg 'frosted' - and that will hide whatever you choose on the inside.

Ironically, I understand it is sometimes 'safer' to insulate the inside of a polycarb roof as these tend to be naturally draughty - gaps at the tops and bottoms. This means you can fully seal whatever insulation you use to the internal room. If any moist air gets through to the gap between the insulation and the underside of the glazing, it will be vented away on a normal poly roof. ON a glass roof, it's more likely to be air-tight sealed so possibly condensation could form - I dunno.

There's lots of ways to insulate and finish the inside of a connie. You can use quilt, but this will also require battens and a frame to take whatever decorative finish you plan to fit on the inside - plasterboard, PVC cladding etc.
    118 posts
    You could apply an opaque film to the outside - eg 'frosted' - and that will hide whatever you choose on the inside.

Ironically, I understand it is sometimes 'safer' to insulate the inside of a polycarb roof as these tend to be naturally draughty - gaps at the tops and bottoms. This means you can fully seal whatever insulation you use to the internal room. If any moist air gets through to the gap between the insulation and the underside of the glazing, it will be vented away on a normal poly roof. ON a glass roof, it's more likely to be air-tight sealed so possibly condensation could form - I dunno.

There's lots of ways to insulate and finish the inside of a connie. You can use quilt, but this will also require battens and a frame to take whatever decorative finish you plan to fit on the inside - plasterboard, PVC cladding etc.
    I was looking at doing like the opaque film but on inside as will withstand the weather but not sure if it will stay put due to sun / Condensation 

i have seen like therm paint but not too sure with that?
    also thought of the Frosted spray ?

I have noticed in the winter currently a lot of condensation forming on the underside of the roof / end up on the edge soffits and drips everywhere.
    hopefully  a loot of that stops when the roof is insulated!

yeah i seen a few ways to finish but thinking plasterboard will add a lot of weight but as mine is glazed hopefully the roof construction is a lot stronger 
    other wise will have have to be soffit slats finish.
  • edited 30 January at 9:00PM
    Jeepers_CreepersJeepers_Creepers Forumite
    3.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 January at 9:00PM
    Yes, your rafters should be strong enough for whatever finish you like - just think of the weight of glass...

No idea about spray-frosting, but many films are designed for outdoor use. Anyhoo, your call on that one :-)   (Perhaps do a test-run with whatever insulation you choose - see what it looks like from outside.

Condensation is a worry. If there is any leak between your new inside 'ceiling' and the glazing above, almost certainly warm air will get in there and condense out - with the added annoyance that you won't be able to get to it to wipe it up. (Ironically, that's why poly roofs are usually better here as they tend to be leaky around the top and bottom seals = ventilated!)

You might wish to consider adding small vent holes to the outside that'll supply the gap you'll be left with - keeping it dry.
    118 posts
    Yes, your rafters should be strong enough for whatever finish you like - just think of the weight of glass...

No idea about spray-frosting, but many films are designed for outdoor use. Anyhoo, your call on that one :-)   (Perhaps do a test-run with whatever insulation you choose - see what it looks like from outside.

Condensation is a worry. If there is any leak between your new inside 'ceiling' and the glazing above, almost certainly warm air will get in there and condense out - with the added annoyance that you won't be able to get to it to wipe it up. (Ironically, that's why poly roofs are usually better here as they tend to be leaky around the top and bottom seals = ventilated!)

You might wish to consider adding small vent holes to the outside that'll supply the gap you'll be left with - keeping it dry.
    Yeah just thinking if I went with plasterboard the added weight maybe too much and then plaster too , I will have to see what people have done.

think will have to do a test piece on the glass  and see how it goes.

I need to do some more digging as there must be many who have done this and companies too.
  • TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    11.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's nothing to stop you getting one of the companies which do this type of work to give you a quote for doing the work.  They will explain exactly what they do and you can modify their system to something you can do for yourself.
  • knightstyleknightstyle Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I sprayed the inside with white car paint, then put up battens with insulation between and covered with thin plastic sheets like these. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Platinum-White-Sparkle-Bathroom-PVC-Cladding-Plastic-Shower-Wall-Panels/321150761676?  Looked great.
    118 posts
    I sprayed the inside with white car paint, then put up battens with insulation between and covered with thin plastic sheets like these. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Platinum-White-Sparkle-Bathroom-PVC-Cladding-Plastic-Shower-Wall-Panels/321150761676?  Looked great.
    Not heard that one yet 😉 , So car paint from a Rattle can ? Sprayed onto the glass?  
    Holding up ok to the weather fine ?
  • TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    11.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    quattros said:
    Not heard that one yet 😉 , So car paint from a Rattle can ? Sprayed onto the glass?  
    Holding up ok to the weather fine ?
    Sprayed on the underside I would assume.