Redundancy extension

Hi
Im going to be made redundant very soon, but the final date will work in my favour as they will need me for 6 weeks after this date to do a project for them, which im not obliged to do and there is nobody else who can do this but me.

has anyone got any tips on how i can ask for them to incentivise this extra 6 weeks as to be honest the project is not worth the Hassle for 6 weeks salary, but maybe a ex-gratis payment certainly.

interested in how to ask for this and any opinions!

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Why would your employer make you redundant if they need you to undertake a project? Surely there'll simply defer the date that they terminate your employment. 
  • Ben107
    Ben107 Posts: 11
    First Post
    Forumite
    Because the department im
    in havent made the final decision on the project, but its 99% got to happen, but HR wont let them drag there feet so there doing it this way.

does that make sense???
  • They could cancel the redundancy right up to the final day of your notice.  So giving you a date soon doesn't mean that your job will be redundant at that time if this other task needs to be done.

• Ben107
    Ben107 Posts: 11
    First Post
    Forumite
    Got it in writing, so if they want to change they need my consent 👍
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    You can still leave but you risk losing any redundancy payments.

In my day the usual practice was let people go pay them redundancy and have them back on contract rates to finish projects. 
  • Ben107 said:
    Got it in writing, so if they want to change they need my consent 👍
    If you don't consent to the extension beyond the currently notified date then you would not have entitlement to statutory redundancy pay, you would simply have made yourself unemployed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback